1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Frontier announces Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

If you are the early backer with the £100 backing do you get this expansion for free or still have to pay £10?

3. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

From the rage ive been hearing, all existing backers/owners are expected to pay £30/$45, a 25%/£10 discount. Whereas anyone, like myself, who doesnt own it already, can just buy the DLC and full game for the £40/$60 price.

Personally, i'd expect to pay for DLC if need be, but selling the full game + DLC at £40, or just the DLC at £30 (for a limited time!!) is quite the kick in the teeth to everyone who funded the game to get it this far.

So its not £10, its a £10 saving. aka hand over £30 (unless there was something in the original package saying DLC1 is free, or something to that effect, which i dont know about, but ive heard nothing from reading the rage).

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Woohoo, extra money for a feature that it should have had from day one.

6. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

I'm aware that he never actually promised Linux support but said something along the lines of 'we want to get the Windows version right before we start considering other platforms.' If they are working on the expansion surely that means they should be working porting it over to other versions first? Fair to read into this they'll never be Linux support? BTW, I backed the Kickstarter in the hope that a Linux version would appear and not been able to play yet.

7. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

As a kickstarter backer I seem to remember them saying planetary interaction was planned for future expansions from day one, are you sure about that?

Makes my funding at £80 for all future expansions seem like a financially prudent move though, I'm glad they made it worth it for their kickstarter backers.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2015
  8. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I backed this (the current game not the expac), I got this, but I've not yet played it - stupid stupid boy I am sometimes!!

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yep. Its been that way from the Kickstarter. I spent £20 on the game and £35 on the 'all future DLC' pack exactly because I knew Planetary Landings etc were coming.

Also, adding this content is not a trivial process. Its not a new ship skin or something is it? Procedurally generating 400 billion planets surfaces could in fact be the most incredible thing in video games ever.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. It has always been clear that planetary landings and other features were paid expansions.

2. Why don't you just hold off and buy the game when you deem it ready?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Its not really 400billion. Its a selected range of planets from what I gather. No where have they mensioned that every single planet will offer landings.

From whats been said elsewhere looks like there trying to generate a yearly income. Those that did not fully back it in kickstarter for the extra dlc are going to have a big bill come the end of the day.

Personally did back it for the extra dlc but have since uninstalled the game and got kinda bored of the title. Planet landings probably will not be enough to make me want to play again.

As far as linux goes id say its a pipe dream.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You will be able to land on every airless planet and moon in the galaxy (kind of the whole point) --although not all of them will have starports, crashed ships or suchlike on them. Planets with atmosphere, and hence biosphere and population will come in future expansions.

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

More than 400 billion planets, there's 400 billion star systems, with the majority having more than one other body that you'll be able to land on, planets and moons, initially just the ones without atmosphere, then further down the road ones with atmosphere.

I imagine they're doing it this way because there will be less variety of planets/moons without atmosphere, then later once the tech is working as intended they can start generating the flora and forna and differing landscapes of planets/moons with atmosphere.