1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full page ad

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by iwog, 31 Aug 2007.

1. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

After powering up my PC and loading my home page i was greeted with a rather weird sight. Gone was the familiar purple of the bit-tech site instead it was replaced with a full page ad for medal of honour airborne. Why?

Is the almighty bit-tech in some form of special advertising partnership?

/edit: RTT

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Oh, common...

Its an advert for a game, on a nerd infested forum full of gamers... At least its not that annoying buzzing fly.

I think it looks fine. I quite like the black in fact.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Emo ;)

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

It does look quite shiney. Here's hoping that Bit-Tech are getting oodles of cash from it. :)

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It's a high-profile advertising campaign ahead of Medal of Honor: Airborne's release next week. It is not "just a clever way to get back at all those who use FF and adblock+ to make web surfing a more pleasurable experience?"

As has been repeated dozens of times, advertising pays the bills around here. I would suggest that an Interweb without bit-tech.net would not be a particularly pleasurable web surfing experience. If readers choose to run Adblock, we ask that they please add www.bit-tech.net to their Whitelist and feel free to click an ads that interest them.

If people take the p*** and block all our ads, then you risk the following things happening:

1) We are forced to make up for lost revenue by adding advertising that people definitely don't want, like IntelliTXT sponsored keywords, pop-unders etc
    2) We retaliate with code, blocking any user who uses AdBlock
    3) We close bit-tech.net because we can't pay the bills.

Just as you wouldn't want Channel 4 to close down because people use PVRs to skip ads, please don't block the ads on our site.

6. DougEdey

I hope that #3 would come before #1

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It doesn't look too bad, but it does make bit-tech lose some of it's uniqueness...

Alltough advertising like this is nicer than popups and other nastyness... As long as it fits (which it does) and is tastefull I'm ok with it.

8. DougEdey

Go look at Hexus.net for poor advertising Glider

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I really wouldn't mind except for the fact that the front page is now about 1.3MB (Well, that's how far it got before I got bored waiting for it to finish and closed it). Basicly I won't bother going there on a regular basis untill it's not hugely fat anymore, sorry. I just don't enjoy sites like that on a 512kb/s connection.

I've never used opera to block bit-techs adverts, and I don't intend to start, so I really hope this bloatyness doesn't become a regular feature.

10. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

I kind of like it. A game, on a technology forum? Makes sense. All the ads seem to be tasteful and lead to computer related things. I really don't mind to be honest.

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Reminds me of the full-page Office 2007 ad on the MSN homepage. Doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh, I never block ads as they're there for a purpose, and sometimes they'll be selling something I might actually want.

<A88>

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I looks pretty sweet on the bit-tech homepage to be honest, plus the game is goood ;)

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

The front page ad is only a short term promotion we are running. Glad so many of you like it.

14. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I have to say it does look nicely done, tastefull but not in our face, like so many other ad's online, I rather the front page get a bit o sparkle than having to deal with pop-ups!

Looks smooth and not out of place :thumb:

15. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Just out of interest. Do they make it to fit your page or just hand you a load of assets and tell you to go nuts?

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

WE DO GAMES TOO GODDAMMIT!

;)

17. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It varies. The Creative X-Fi was our own. This one was produced by their agency.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Despite the fact I know G would never, ever do pop ups, if it ever happened I'd go upstairs and hack everyone to death. Twice.

19. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

- While I totally understand Bit's reliance on advertising revenue, I've found the flash adverts over the last year or so to be quite over the top. (Though you guys obviously can't really do much about it..)

As an example, courtesy of Opera's cack Flash implementation, the Bit-tech front page currently takes between 10-50% of my CPU time.

That is what I'd call excessive...

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I like the new banner, it breaks up the page, and you find your self on the first page longer, and not just clicking 'Forum' as soon as it loads, meaning more people will see the adds, as well as the articles and news pages:thumb:
    Prehaps more special edition front pages are needed.

Sam