1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 1

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 23 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

:jawdrop: Oh my god man, that's easily in the top 3 mods I've ever seen. You can just tell you've thought about every tiny little detail and carried it through to perfection.

Respect to you G-gnome!

Edit: One more thing, G-gnome can you ask your case if she'll go on a date with me?

Last edited: 23 Aug 2003
  2. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

as everyone else says it amasing
    i read every word
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. notobe

notobe What's a Dremel?

That is very very nice.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Again :eeek: Chrome and plexi go together so well.

Using the flex from the showerheads was such a good idea, though unfortunatly not a first someone here did rounded IDE cables using it (no where near as well done though) I hope you've made an effort to ground them else that could hurt...

5. Caged

Caged What's a Dremel?

:rock:

That's just pure quality man, keep it up :thumb: :jawdrop:

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Wow ! Nice work top job :)

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Bloody Hell !! Thats pretty darn amazing thats it im giving up modding now i can't compete with that :( You must have a pretty high budget tho :)

8. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

holy ****

9. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i rly like the idea of useing shower tubing, but i just wanna say, y didnt u just buy the tube without the rest of the shower head, u can u know ;) or better yet, you could have used some of this linky

10. SciGuy

SciGuy What's a Dremel?

Absolutely amazing. So much detail and effort gone into it. Looks great! :thumb:

Rav

11. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

You are right, but not using that crappy stuff from kustom, thats just plastic with a chrome coating, even kustom say themselves: Note: The coloring on the loom may chip off little bit. This is not a cause for concern. However at B+Q and whatever you can buy proper shower tubing without the shower head.

12. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

:eek:

This is totally amazing!! I've not seen anything like it.

How much do you estimate that you've spent?

I can't wait to see updates on this! :rock:

13. The Cleaner

The Cleaner What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Enough said..........

14. olv

olv he's so bright

OH MY GOD

what more can be said?

Truly inspiring work!

Is there any functionality for you using two resevoirs other then it just looking seriously cool?

I was looking at the plan of your watercooling setup and noticed that you are planning on running

Pump > CPU > GPU > Resevoir > Radiator

Unless you have some secret plan (which wouldn't surprise me), then i think you may have trouble trying to prime your pump with your radiator coming before the resevoirs. As a general rule of watercooling the resevoir should be the first item in the loop followed by the pump so a better setup would be:

Resevoir > Pump > CPU > GPU > Radiator

Thats my thoughts on it anyway.

Once again that is one hell of a case and i look forward to seeing more... MORE!! :lol:

I appologise if i have misunderstood your plans :p

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey all!:)

Wow! Thanks for some of the great comments! I'm glad you all like what I am doing with this mod - I'll try and keep things to the same standard from here on in.

I do have a pretty strong idea where I am going with this, but I read all the feedback and suggestions and appreciate every single one - cheers!

Before I continue on with the project log to date (so I can get it out of the way and get back to modding:dremel: ) I'll answer a couple of queries in the feedback:

I certainly did look around for just the hose but everywhere I went to only had it with the shower heads or it was a horrible looking hose (like a giant spring with black rubber inside), I found the stuff I was after in K-Mart and it was dirt cheap to buy them as a kit. (Btw what's this 'B&Q' everyone mentions? It sounds like my kinda place!)

You have to understand that I wanted real 100% stainless steel and the hose I used had the particular look that I was after - I had pictured what I was after inside my head and nothing less would suffice, hard to explain really. I have already re-used the rubber seals out of them, the threaded ends have saved me the cost of buying fittings and, most importantly by far, every kit I got came with two of the chrome screw fittings/covers (and I have used every single one of them:) ).

I had a look at your link TheoGeo :) (thank you for posting it) and I know about the split loom (I have it in my lian-li case) - I had already ruled out using this stuff, not just because (like GT3_GOD pointed out) its flaky chrome-painted plastic, but also because it's split loom. I have found that the loom can have different thicknesses depending on how many wires are inside, it has a tendency to fold over itself (with a nice join showing) or, if bent too much, of bulging where the split is.

(heh, I just checked the linky again - for the equivalent length, that split loom works out about 30% more than what I paid for my shower hose, and I got a free shower head with mine :D woot!)

I think I better post some more :)

16. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I thought the best watercooling setup was to have the radiator right before the waterblocks so the water's at it's coolest when it gets to the hot spots?

17. olv

olv he's so bright

It depends really, in a system that benefits from high flow rates you do not want to kill the flow straight out of the pump by putting it through your radiator first. The increased flow by having your waterblocks flow more often then not gives better temps. PLus your water really want gain any or much heat just by sitting in your resevoir for a few seconds and then travelling through your pump.

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Just a quick one for Olv - yes you are right about the WC setup.

Firstly, the two Res are mainly to provide more eye candy (though increasing the total amount of water in the system has its cooling benefits as well (2 small res=1 large res I guess).

As for priming the pump, the way things will be set up, gravity should assist in filling the system up - (in descending order) res ----> top barb of Rad ----> bottom barb of rad (rad will be on its side you see) then down to pump. I have also ammended that WC sketch slightly since I took the photo ;)

Do hold that thought and I'll likely be picking your brains closer to the time when I set up the cooling system.

Cheers!

19. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

B&Q is a big hardware shop across here in Britain. Probably the equivalent to your K-Mart downunder...I should take shares out in the place...spend a fortune there:D

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:dremel: It's moddin time!:dremel:

(otherwise known as 'Starting on Posting Remaining Work-log' ... or sumthin like that)

Main junction box …

[​IMG]

Here are two other chromed plastic project boxes (and lids) marked for drilling. There were going to be quite a few holes of varying sizes.

[​IMG]

I also began marking up the insides with a marker so I would know what wires were coming in where, and where to place all my circuit boards. I cut up some basic circuit board and used coloured markers to show my 12v/5v/GND sections (I later used green for the 12v – yellow just didn’t show up well). I ended up changing these to a board that had larger holes/traces as the wire I decided to use didn’t fit well through the holes – even then I still had to use a round needle file to ream the holes slightly.

[​IMG]

This is a Multi-Power Port from www.pccasegear.com a basic power splitter. It takes a molex and gives you four 12v and four 5v lines (designed for fans) and six ‘3.3v’ for LEDs – However, I put a multimeter across the 3.3v terminals and got a reading of 12v! So I used a resister on these for LEDs@12v (electronics numpty that I am, I wanted to be safe and the brightness seemed unchanged when I tested them).

I really know only a small amount about electronics and mainly follow guides and advice off the Bit-Tech forums (cheers ZapWizard! – I hope to take your DVD mod a step further), supplemented with a few basic electronics guides off the Internet. I opted to use MPP solely to power LEDs from all of its power connectors simply to minimise the amount of wiring it was looking like I would have to do. There is also a blue indicator LED on the PCB – I will be replacing this with a WHITE one and extending it to the outside of my junction box.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.