1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I vaguely remember the cardboard box thing around somewheres. Funny stuff. I remember that one setup that the guy actually duct-taped it to the wall of his dorm, and had the PSU, mobo, HDD, etc. all on it. Weird. And it apparently worked! :confused:

@ John:

This thing is cool. I can't wait to see it finished. Especially being an ex-Mac user from way back when.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I did Mac in college but I didn't inhale:D
    John

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I believe the cardboard mod you're referring to is the one by Krikkit

4. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

ol ... i missed that :D lol that's nice mod :D

5. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

looks good, keep up the good work man. Whats the dimensions on the case your making? it looks to be kind of small. :thumb:

6. jhanlon303

The inner cube is 8" x 8" x 8" it will hold a mini-itx, probably my M1000 board easily. It will, of course, be a couple inches taller with the wrap around feet and handles. The original wrap has a two inch gap for handles and feet. my mocked up piece uses 1" to try to keep the look of the G5.
    John

7. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

I'm fabricating a small, yet refined, w00t! to deploy when you show us the mockup shots.
    Should be ready soon...

8. jhanlon303

I think you guys will like it. I've cut the front power button plate, and the rear door latch piece free from the original case. I have cut some of the inner liner pieces. It really is starting to look more like G5 Posting tonight or early AM.
    John

9. jhanlon303

new tool and quick mock ups

At the end of the last update, I was off to the belt sander. Well I tripped - literally - over one of my tool boxes I hadn't opened since I don't know when. Inside I found a tool I really don't remember buying but it's neat and handy.
    [​IMG]
    It's like a nibbler but with long handles and cuts a small strip about 3mm wide out of metal in a straight line.
    It this picture of the leftover parts is the back panel with the door latch and a piece from the front. What I did was use the tool to cut straight pieces out of the leftover hole pieces to use to keep the hole alignment when I glue it back together.
    This is the back with the center piece removed and one of the newly cut pieces bolted in to hold it square.
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of the front power switch/USB panel and the rear door latch. The holes all around are left to ease alignment.
    [​IMG]

The power button in "about place".
    [​IMG]

And the rear door latch close to where it needs to be:
    [​IMG]

As I mentioned I'm working on the corner pieces from the original liner that hold the door internal latches and the fan baffle plate. This is top left liner piece.
    [​IMG]

Now I need to share an interesting bit of G5 information. I cut the piece of mesh that is holding the 2 front halves together from a vertical piece of the left over rear.

The holes going up and down are not the same as side to side!

A piece cut vertically has very few holes that will line up if turned sideways. Seriously look the same until you try it for real. I will have to be careful to make the binding strips so that I get the holes lined up.
    Back to working on the inner liner.
    John

10. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

i think this is the cutes case i ever seen. wish i had that kind of patience.

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Just out of interest, are you planning to paint this to hide the joins? If so, what colour? :)

Cyp.

12. jhanlon303

The only non aluminum coloured G5 I have ever seen was "Bright Yellow" and it lost the G5 look completely!

Suggestions other than aluminum anyone? I'm leaning toward the aluminum myself or maybe white like a real Apple cube.

John

13. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

I've seen one with black mesh/center and aluminum sides...looked very classy, IMO.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

A light gunmetal blue/grey would be nice. Not a drastic change fron stock, but a beautiful accent.

15. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

Aluminum ............ I also like cheapskate's color idea too ...........

Alan

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

;) Click on my sig.

:D

The difference is that i had to paint it as i didnt have access to aluminium welding and you could see the ugly joins on the back panel.

Im still curious as to how you can hide the joins. Even if they are welded wont it show?

17. jhanlon303

Sorry for the delay responding, I was spring cleaning my MicroFly daily driver and stuffing hard drives into the prize I won from an A. C. Ryan contest. 500 Gb of family pictures and recipes. Yeah, that's it.:D
    Anyway, I haven't gotten that far yet to think out the joining methods. I'm being fussy with cutting everything too big and sanding and filing for fit. I have access to a machine shop with several certified welders. I also have enough scrap to try the J. B. Weld putty. The only non aluminum parts are the inner liner that hold the door latches and the shelf that holds the HDD and optical in the original G5. The original G5 power supply box at the bottom appears to not be aluminum in photos I've seen but I won't use one on this build - still have two more G5 volunteers for later. Probably do some pictures tonight or early AM tomorrow. Hexen wants to see the slimline dvd. I have a picture of a full optical and full HDD that will crack everybody up.:rolleyes:

John

18. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

Holy SH**, This is turning out to be one nice MAC-Attack.:dremel:
    I like it alot:rock: (Sub me in).

19. jhanlon303

Thanks for all the replies guys. It was an off the wall idea from the start but it sure is fun:D I think that's what modding should be about, an idea, the effort, and enjoying the process of creating what no one else has.
    John

20. jhanlon303

I HATE STEEL! Inner liner work

Sheesh what a job! The inner liner is steel. Steel is not my friend. Out to the store for more Dremel cut off wheels, sparks every where, broken cut off disks. Here is where I am now.
    The four pieces of the inner liner cut out and left too long.:
    [​IMG]
    Compared to the cage:
    [​IMG]

The two right pieces installed into the case. Yes, they overlap in the center but I am trying to make the curves fit. Four hours to get to here on one side. But, I have the door latch openings in the middle bar lined up with the plexi air baffle slots in the bottom piece. Part of the problem is moving the cuts "just so" and saving the bolts that hook the sides to the case and using existing holes for rivets. PITA!:wallbash: Really does fit and might actually look good to people besides ME!
    [​IMG]

Small steps. Left side tomorrow AM.

No picture for Hexen yet. Coming as soon I get the inner liner done.

John

Tags: