1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Game programmers are hard to find

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

game programmers are hard to find? well, i got turned down from 2 game programming jobs because 'it didn't seem like i wanted the job enough', so obviously they're not _that_ hard to find...
    [/bitter]

3. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

It seems like most developers are hard to find at the moment. We are looking for a php web developer and not having much luck. Very hard to find anyone (cheeky plug, in West midlands, PM me for details if you know anyone!)

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, if you want 20 years old programmers with at least 10 years of professional experience, willing to work for what a Chinese woman earns by making Nike shoes and willing to work as long as the former mentioned w/o benefits... I guess it's kinda hard.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Under those conditions, you could work as an engineer in Germany! ;)

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Trust me, I know. Born in Offenbach, lived there for 20 years, 4 years in Hamburg, then I finally made it out of there. :) Although Hamburg is one of the nicest cities in the world.
    [/hijack]

Back on topic: I guess it's even harder to find a job at the moment than for companies to find new employees. Just a guess though...

7. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

How many of these companies want degrees?

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

This is bollocks - I've been applying for jobs in the games industry left right and centre - all of them saying "no programming vacancies"

9. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

The price of a being a games developer is to have no relationship, no life, no weekends, no sunlight, no sleep, no free time and not much else.

The pay is pretty crap for the hours and skill as well because the job is similar to being a fireman uk in terms of supply and demand.
    Except being a fireman you get to wear a uniform and go to crazy house parties where students have set off the fire alarms just to see some men in uniforms.

Edit: Being a fireman, I would guess you can have all the things mentioned above.

10. UrbanMarine

I think firefighters also work 240ish days a year and get paid for 365.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

a good (2:1 or higher, with demonstrable ability) bachelor's degree in computer science is the minimum these guys will consider. the demonstrable ability part is huuuugely important, however.

12. vampalan

Dont forget, you cant be a nerdy coder in your bedroom at home, you will need to be able to talk to people in order to work as a team. The ability to knock out code is worthless if people can't talk to you about it... I guess that's stating the obvious.

13. varese4

varese4 What's a Dremel?

i think good programmers are hard to find anywhere, in any industry - i worked in games before, but now i'm in finance, and it's nearly the same story, difference is that there's so much money in finance, they hire 4 people to do the work that could be done by just one good programmer

14. UrbanMarine

I know a few people that are talented with computers but don't have money to get that piece of paper that says you are "officially" educated in computers. There are only a few lucky people that get into a high paying industry without papers.

15. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

very true.

and thus those few people should work their ass off in walmart and save enough money to get a degree.

17. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I love that. Anyone employing 4 programmers to do the work one that could do obviously has no practical project experience. It's the same type of person who thinks that throwing money (hence more programmers) into the pile gets work done more quickly.

18. vampalan

It's actually good to have more than one programmer, so they dont end up being prima donnas, thus keeping each other in check.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct...you should have more than one.

I have one programmer for my production machine...
    if anything happends to this guy we have 30 multi-million dollar machines worth of scrap :eyebrow:

20. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I meant that having 4 programmers to do the work of one doesn't reduce the time by 4, like most management types seem to believe. I won't get into the discussion of how many a company should have, as there are so many different cases, but having a mountain of them won't turn you into Microsoft. As for being primadonnas, they will only be primadonnas once in their career for one company. ;)

Tags: Add Tags