1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Getting a Macbook

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarkLord7854, 18 Jun 2007.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well I'm going to get a Macbook, most likely will do video editing with it, I contacted Apple and asked what the dif was between standard and Pro, they said, like I expected, that the Pro can run pro apps while the standard can't. I'm fairly sure that's complete and utter b/s. So was wondering, is it better for me to save a bunch of money, get a standard for 999$, buy another gig of memory for 40$, and get a new 200gbs HD (I think it uses SATA drives?), and install my Pro apps, or spend all my cash and buy the pro?

2. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Get the 13" and upgrade the hell outta it.

For video editing, the graphics chips in the MBP's will make sod all difference, leaving the only difference as real estate on the screen. Macbooks have external monitor ports anyway.

FCP, Motion and DVD Studio Pro run like a dream on my first-gen Macbook 13".

3. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

^^What he said. I went with the macbook regular and I couldn't be happier with it. There are only a few differences between the pro and the non-pro, mainly the screen size and the video card. Unless you use programs that need a good video card (most don't), you won't have any trouble with performance. While I can't much speak from experience it should be fine with the pro apps. Personally, the only thing I regret is not getting a superdrive, so I'd suggest popping for the more expensive macbook.

4. DarkLord7854

Thanks for the replies,

I'm not too worried bout screen size since I wouldn't dream of editing movies without being hooked up on a power outlet, and that would mean I'd be at home, and therefore have access to my flat panel.

What's a superdrive? o_O (Be neat if the notebook could hover.. ahhh)

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Superdrive=DVD burner, but in any case, I'd suggest just getting an external one which will be at least twice as fast.

At least until we start seeing a lot of Leopard-only apps (which rely on the Core Animation suite), the added graphics card in the MBP will mean very little difference for most tasks. My experience with one so far is that it does little other than lowering battery life and increasing the heat output, but then again I've got one of the rev1 models which run notoriously hot.

6. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I was asking the same question to myself:p can the apple macbook 13" run apps like PS3 etc? What are the PRO apps anyway?

7. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

i got a mbp, and it was well worth the money, if you know someone who is going into college you can get 8% off, its really nice.

8. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Pro apps are those in the final cut, logic etc series. Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Logic Pro etc. They run on both macbooks and macbook pro's with no problem.

If by PS3 you mean Photoshop CS3, they run fine on macbooks - I use it all the time on mine!

9. RTT

RTT #parp

As M3G4 said, of course it can! It's a flippin' 2GHz+ Intel Core 2 Duo machine with at least a gig of memory :)

10. DarkLord7854

So it's just a marketing gig :p

11. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

Than I'm going for the black macbook :p Thanx for the replies

12. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Wish I had seen this earlier - with the MBP you can play modern windows video games via boot camp - with the regular macbook you can't.

don't know if that matters to you or not...

Also, I slipped a memory card reader into my expresscard slot which is handy, and you Europeans can buy an expresscard tv tuner for macbook pros. (they still aren't available in the US yet.....)

13. fri2219

fri2219 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure either statement is completely accurate.

I'm using VMWare Fusion Beta 4.1 w/WinXP64, MacBook C2D White, upgraded to 2GB DDR2667, Seagate ST9160821AS. Rome Total War plays quite well. (I spend most of my days in Oracle and M$ development tools, and can't say much about first person shooters)

I also use a the Elagato HD USB tuner on the MacBook.

It's strictly a matter of personal taste, but I prefer the MacBook keyboard and the durability of the case- I travel a lot by air, train, and bicycle- no scratches in seven months. I'm not sure the MacBook Pro would take the same abuse.

Back to the original question: P-Shop screams, but the limited screen real-estate is an issue when I'm not connected to an external monitor.

Tags: