1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice getting a new rig advice wanted pls

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreamcometru, 26 Oct 2017.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

An alternative is a Hybrid drive, I used to run one and it works quite well or repeated stuff like OS boots and game levels etc.

Basically it's a hard drive with small ssd that caches frequent data, so it will be just as slow as most drives initially but subsequent uses the system gets quicker, it's no SSD but having just backed up and running my system from one at the moment whilst I build some whizzy raid arrays, it's pretty handy.

Though a couple of 1TB 7200rpm in raid0 will see you right too.

How old is the old drive, could you pair it with another 1Tb of same drive and raid0 it?

Most performance that people can feel when playing with a new machine is the Speed of the hard disk, so improvements there can be felt in normal use.

An alternative to hardware cache you could try software caching for speed up see if you feel any benefit

https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/index.html

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-rev...-at-13gbs-and-765000-iops-in-60-seconds-flat/

Last edited: 27 Oct 2017
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Save money on the case. Using a tenth of the budget is silly. Also, I'd recommend a better power supply, but I'm very picky about those.

Wait for the 1070 Ti to launch and then see where they sit. You might save £50 ... you might not. Just hang tight.

3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I'm gonna throw another vote in the 1070ti pot, if you're on a strict budget and can wait.

you'll likely get a mice performance boost for the same price as the MSI card you're listing in your build. In fact SCAN has a MSI Armor 1070Ti for cheaper than the one you've chosen... for the same price you could get an EVGA card with the advantage of it being easy to sell on....

I would also forgo the CPU cooler, especially if you're not gonna OC the CPU, the stock cooler is good on the Ryzen's. Then use the money you'd save to switch the SSD for a PCi-e M.2 drive.....

You could save a hefty chunk of cash too switching cases for something like a Antec P8 or phanteks P300...

4. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Nice I like the Antec p8.

Also bearing in mind that the only thing going on my ssd would be the os I think I should get the smallest one possible. Agree?

How much memory does windows 10 even use?

Edit: just googled it and apparently it uses 20gb memory (64bit os) from what I read.

I’ve revised the build again gone for a higher efficiency modular psu and removed the after market cooler, downgraded the ssd and graphics card also upgraded to faster ram.

Pls let me know your thoughts on this

Last edited: 28 Oct 2017
  5. TheMadDutchDude

It uses nowhere near 20GB... Haha. Fully loaded with everything I use, I idle at around 1.9GB.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Asus call it DOCP (DRAM Overclock Profiles) but in essence it's the same thing as XMP (Extreme Memory Profile), having said that I've read some people have had problems using DOCP/XMP so while you maybe able to just turn on DOCP to run the RAM at the rated speed if that didn't work you'd either need to fiddle with voltages and stuff or run the RAM at a lower than rated speed.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think he means free space on the hdd. 16gb they say is min, so 20 sounds about right stock.

8. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Yea I did mean hdd space

Ok so I have another question please.

I have a 1tb hdd with Windows 10 already on it. But this is from my old system with a completely different spec. can I plug this into the new system or will the drivers likely cause conflicts with the new hardware preventing me from updating the drivers and other software?

I really hope I can use the old hdd cos that saves me £100 from not having to buy windows 10...

Thanks in advance

9. TheMadDutchDude

You can most likely re-activate that license without issue. However, I'd strongly suggest a fresh install as it is such a big change in hardware, and you're opting for an SSD, which means you'd need to install it on there anyway.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you don't mind linking your license with a Microsoft account it's pretty easy to reactive after major hardware changes, if a setting up a Microsoft account puts you off then you'd need to contact customer support who should allow you to reactive it.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you sign in with a Microsoft account license info is stored there, you can do fresh install with the no license key option and then activate online by moving license to your new machine

12. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Yeah the only problem being I don’t have the licence key anymore.

I got windows 7 at a discount price for being a student years ago. Then the free upgrade to win 10 but I don’t have The key anymore.

I’d put it in a separate folder in my email account and it just wasn’t there some months/years later.

What should I do? Bite the bullet and buy a new copy?

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Windows 10 uses both keys and digital licensing so how you activate it can vary, as you upgraded from a previous version you've got what they call a digital license, they allow you to reactivate after a major hard change but like i said you'd either need to link the digital license to a Microsoft account or contact support so they can reactivate it for you after you reinstalled, more details here, and a more direct reply to someone who had to reactivate Windows 10 after a major hardware change that they upgraded from a student version of Windows 8 (it would be the same for a upgrade done from a student version of Windows 7)

Long story short save yourself £100 but make sure you either link your existing install to a Microsoft account so you can use the troubleshooter after reinstalling or have the contact details for Microsoft support handy.

14. Vault-Tec

15. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Wow thank you guys so much! I had no idea about any of this.

The only problem now is that I need to boot up the old hard drive to link the windows to a Microsoft acc or to get the serial number. I don’t have a pc anymore the only thing I salvaged was the hdd :(

So is there any way to connect the old hdd to a desktop/laptop and extract the info I need?

I suppose if I can find someone willing to let me open up their rig and attach the hdd I can get to the files through windows (without booting windows off my hdd)?

16. Vault-Tec

You are screwed if it was Windows 8+ was it Windows 10? it was on your motherboard mate. The key is placed into the bios in the UEFI. That key reader reads it from there.

17. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Dammit...ok...preparing teeth to bite the bullet.

Thanks all for info.

I will wait till the the ti’s come out before I buy anything. Hopefully it will mean a price drop for the current 1070’s? If not I’ll just get a ti.

Should be able to get a cheap desk off gumtree or something.

Can’t find my goddamn mouse either :(

18. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Will it definitely cause too many problems to just connect the old hdd to the new rig?

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sign into Microsoft https://account.microsoft.com/ will probably tell you if you had ever signed up and linked the machine to this account under devices, some people don't realize that is what they have done for Onedrive etc, it will tell you which version of windows too, for install purposes.

20. Vault-Tec

I bought a Windows 10 Pro key on Amazon for £9. I had to do the phone in thing, yet here I am what? three months? later and all is still well.