1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Wrong AMD CPU Defaults!

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by DarrenH, 2 Sep 2010.

1. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Check your Gigabyte CPU BIOS defaults on an AM3 AMD mobo.

• GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 socket with USB 3 & SATA 3 6Gb/s
    • AMD Phenom II x4 965BE 125W (C3)
    • Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 2.1

It defaults the CPU Core voltage to 1.40V (the original 965BE 140W (C2) ) and not the correct 1.25V that the newer chip requires. But there is a bigger mistake:

The 965BE max temp is 62c approx. but the BIOS only allows temp warnings at 60c, 70c, 80c and 90c. I want to be warned before it gets to 60c! I would suggest 45c/50c/55c, etc. I know Intel chips can reach higher temps and that Gigabyte make both AMD and Intel motherboards - but this is an AM3 AMD motherboard.

My 965BE idles at 28-32c and on max hits 49-50 when running Prime95 for 5 hours so I have no issue. I also monitor my PC when running intensive apps., just to be on the safe side being a new build. But imagine a novice user with the original stock cooler not getting any warning of over heating until its almost too late!

Still An Awesome Board!
    The above BIOS default issues aside - it is a gorgeous looking board and works a dream. These new mobos look miles better than older ones I'm used to. It truly looks amazing with its sleek silver and blue heatsinks and is future-proof with its USB 3 & Sata III 6Gb/s ports. Go into your local store and see them for yourselves. They are that good!

Last edited: 2 Sep 2010
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Have you updated the bios to the latest version? It may not be recognising the cpu as the newer revision.

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

The UD4 is nearly a year old now. They never did release anything but a REV1.0 board.

The latest bios F3 has the updated CPU AGESA 3.7.0.0 which you need for the C3 stepping cpus.

4. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

The first thing I did was to update the Bios to F3. I have even upgraded to the newer 4th bios update but the same defaults apply.

I have read that it is a Gigabyte thing. It's not a massive deal - but you want to be able to run your processor with the correct voltage as standard. If not, then at least be told that you need to change.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

Just contact them and try to get a Beta bios out of them.

Tell them its not applying the correct volts for the C3 and they should fix it pretty quickly.

Although 1.4v isnt to bad if your going to OC it a bit.

6. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I have only lately found out that the 1.25v I had was way under the 1.375 official voltage for the C3 version. The 1.4v worked fine as did the 1.25v.

But it's now at it's 1.375v with only slight over clocking at 3.6. May go higher later with better cooling solution.