1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte i-RAM what would you use it for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goreblast, 29 Apr 2006.

1. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Hi

Got one of these on its way to me with 4gb OCZ value ram. Got it on XS members market for an excellent price (UK price is mad £260 for the board alone!) and only after I had sent payment did I think.... what will I atually use this for?

My main idea at the moment is to use it as a benching OS.

What everyone else think?

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Install OS/games on it?
    If you use it for benchines (ie PCmark etc) then you'll get your scores removed. FM WON'T let you use them atm

3. Goreblast

Pity - windows treats it as a hard drive so how do they block it? curious?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Probably because it looks like cheating.

I'd say probably putting your swapfile on it would be the best use. It's not really big enough for much else, it ensures the fastest possible swapfile (which, even when disabled, still exists), and in the case that you lose power and thus data, you're not screwed. Photoshop scratch disk would work too, but honestly I don't think you'll get a ton out of it if you use it as a typical, albeit small, hard drive.

I read some early review of it, apparently it doesn't make a huge difference to install games on it (a few seconds from load times, that's about it), and not an immense difference to have Windows on either.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd sell it over here (im guessing you'd fetch more than you paid for it) and get a proper disk setup tbh

Unless youre just bothered about benching, it really isnt big enough for any practical home uses

6. Goreblast

yeah got it for 350USD shipped from Japan

7. Goreblast

Might use it as a swapfile as suggested. Wonder would it significantly help super-pi times?

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

depends on what you mean by significant. You'd probably be looking at a few hundredths of a second I'd imagine

9. Goreblast

Every little helps! I was thinking of putting into my gaming rig and installing windows 2003 x64 180day eval edition on it for some serious super pi 32 mb action.