1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU drops out

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by nissanskyrice, 30 Jan 2010.

1. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

Hi fellow folders.
    Ive recently starting using the windows gpu client on win7x64. all seemed to be going ok. my temps are staying fine since a bit of an adjustment on the nvidia fan controls. the problem im having is the video drops out and i have to power cycle the pc to get it going again. ive turned down the cpu usage in the advanced tab to 20% thinking it may be pushing the card too hard but still keeps happening. does anyone else experience this issue?

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Which graphics card?

Are you trying to use the 'Display' option (don't, it's known to be very buggy)

3. nissanskyrice

its a gigabyte 260gtx.
    not using display or anything. its running on my gaming machine. I turn off folding while gaming but leave it on through the day while at work. when i come home sometimes its fine and other times the video is gone. i tried gaming the other night with folding still going and the same thing happened after about 10 minutes of gameplay. not sure if its a hardware or driver issue or if its a bug in the folding client. it does only happen when folding is running though.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

The GPU client does stress the hardware a great deal, often more than gaming does. You say your temperatures are all right, so cooling is probably not an issue. There are threads on here and the Stanford Forums about a tool for testing GPU memory in a way that is relevant to folding. I would suggest you run that - it may be that your hardware is just on the edge of 'good enough' for gaming but not for folding.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

most likely an dead GPU or dieing my GTX280 did an interesting fail (yellow and pink on the left and right monitor then after 1-3 mins it reboot on its own the system)

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I run ten GTX 260's under WinXP32Pro and Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04), with no problems. Other things to check;
    1. Card temperatures
    2. I've found it can depend on the graphics driver - checkout the Folding Forum as to what's best for Win7x64.

7. nissanskyrice

Ok so i havent run the stress test yet but I'm certain its an issue with the card. The temps are ok. Generally stays under 60C but it seems either the thermostat that controls the fan or the stupid nvidia ntune or whatever it is randomly decides to stop listening to the thermostat. I was playing L4D2 last night and looked down at the temp monitor because the screen started getting artefacts and the temp was 114 C while the fan was cruising at a measly 30% speed. Reset the machine and the gpu fan cranked for ages and brought the temp back down. Seems that it must hang randomly or something.
    No more folding for me on that machine at the moment. Will keep the crappy $2 radeon and cpu folding at work though. Will get going again once i can afford to replace the 260GTX. Hoping it holds out till the 400 series gets released.

8. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

use EVGA Precision for fan speed

9. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

manually set the fan to at least 50% will keep you in the 60c"s 60% keep you in uper 50's