1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harddrive Partition Best Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Cena, 19 Apr 2006.

1. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering what is the best partition setup for Windows 2003.

Currently I have a WD 80 gig dedicated to Windows 2003. I split it into 2 partitions.

1 Partition = 10 gigs = Windows files and some settings
    2 Partition = 66 gigs = Program files, settings, Windows Desktop/Documents, Program cache etc

I have heard that the current setup is the best way for performance (less fragmentation etc)

These past few days however, the drive is sloooooooow.

So I ordered a WD Raptor 74 gigs.

I'm wondering whether I should follow the same setup or keep both windows and program files on the same drive (only 1 partition)? Wouldnt that cause more fragmentation or loss of performance?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

10 gig is not a lot of space for your boot partition. Remember, that Windows will use the C: partition for swap file usage, so you will always need far more space than just the files required to install windows. I would never have less than 15 Gb if FREE space on drive C: otherwise you run the risk of the PC running out of drive space for a swap file with heavy, or multiple application use.

Why such a small drive? If I were you, take advantage of the low price of drives currently. I'd have your new raptor as drive C: with no other partitions, and then have your old 80Gb drive as drive D: Actually have 2 physical drives rather than a partitioned drive.

10 gig is WAY too small for your boot partition, and that is undoubtedly why your PC is slow.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ran windows on a 5gb partition, with a fixed swapfile running elsewhere without any issues. All programs and docs went on another drive/partition.

Best bet is to use the raptor for boot/programs, and use the 80gb drive for docs and general storage.

4. John Cena

I have the swap file on another drive so no worries there. The reason I think my setup is slow is because I havent installed windows in over 8 months. This install has been through alot of abuse lol.

If I just have 1 partition on the raptor, I'm worried that it may get fragmented reguarly.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's no more likely to get fragmented than if you have 2 partitions... in fact, as you'll have less space, it's MORE likely to be frangmented I would think. I'd still recommend having the raptor as a single drive C and the old 80Gb as drive D.. and have the raptor set as the drive windows uses as a swap file, as that's by far the fastest drive.

Take the opportunity to re-install windows too, and sort your other problems out.

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

there is meant to be a rumoured size of about 16gbs or so that is meant to be optimal for running a windoze installation on...with another partion or hdd (as modern hdds tend to be more then 16gb in total capacity) for all the programs and whatnot...

the way I tend to calculate it is
    OS + Office + necessary Apps. + about 5gbs for good measure = c partition!

7. John Cena

I guess the question now remains...to partition or not to partition? That is the question (sorry shakespeare)

8. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

modern OS's dont suffer from the same problems as older ones, nowadays unless your reformatting on a regular basis partitioning is really only for logical reasons. Pookeyhead has the best solution.

Another problem with partitions is that you will frequently hit the wall and have to go about removing stuff to make enough space to fit the OS and core applications (which should also be on the primery drive for speed)

9. John Cena

Alright.

I have decided to install windows on the raptor.
    Since I have a extra 80 gig, wondering what to do with it. I think I can raid it?

Basically, heres what my setup curren looks like

Raid 0 Port: WD 80 gig (this has download temp data, some crap etc)
    Raid 1 Port: WD 80 gig (split to two partitions, windows + programs)

Sata 0 Port: Segate 250 gigs (backup, movies, music, etc)
    Sata 1 Port: Unused

Btw, the WD 80 gigs are not raided. They are however on raid enabled ports.

Here's what I plan to do:
    I'll probably raid the two WD 80 gigs together and use that as one huge drive for downloaded data, temporary stuff etc. Then I'll use the Raptor for windows.

Should I keep the windows page file on the raptor or the raided WD 80 gigs? Do you even recomend I raid them?

10. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

I never split hard drives anymore, ie I am a one partition per drive man.

11. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

if you are just going to use them mainly for storing files for downloaded data I dont see the point in raiding them, as it would just be an extra risk!

12. John Cena

It's only for temporary data like downloaded music files (LEGAL) and stuff. I eventually move them to the 250 gig data storage drive.

But you do make sense. I dont see a point in raiding them either.

So if no one has any suggestions...I will remove one of the 80 gigs. Sadly it will goto waste because none of my comps need it lol.

Oh well...ill dump this whole setup when conroe comes out in a few months lol.

Thanks for the help guys.

13. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

My system at the mo Im using an old 10GB seagate for my OS which places the SWAP file on other HDD so i've got:
    10GB - OS
    200GB - Files/Downloads/Other stuff/Swap file/documents

always works well for me as I do a fesh install every 6months or so, also if your system goes down, all you need is to install windows and purhaps office.

Regards
    GiGo