1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help & Advice if anyone can spare the time for my system build choices.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spouse, 14 Aug 2010.

1. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

Budget:
    1,700 I don’t have to hit that :p :D

Main uses of intended build:
    MMO /Games. :p anyone seen how TOR is coming along ... looks pretty cool :geek:

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Ga-X58A-UD3R (rev 2), Intel i7 930 CPU. :thumb:

GPU:
    2GB ATI Radeon HD 5970. :thumb:
    I know there are 4 or 5 different makers, I went for the XFX for price but are there any performance differences? :geek:

PSU:
    Corsair TX650 (P1-750B-NLG9 XFX). :eyebrow:

Storage:
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB:jawdrop:
    HDD: 1TB WD 1002faex

RAM:
    Corsair 2Gigx3 1600mhz DDR3, (can’t tell the difference it will make for specific brands) :eyebrow:

Case:
    CoolMarster ATCS 840 or a Haf X
    I know the haf has the better cooling out of the two, but the 840 styling and some of the features are just better.:cooldude:

will you be overclocking:

Yes.:thumb:

Extra information about desired system:

Is additional cooling required pre Overclocking? If not I will wait. Was looking at Corsair Hydro H50, don’t think I will bother with a sound card straight away. I am looking at £1583.55 for this system with the mentioned cooling and the ATCS 840. Probably will not start buying for another month, and I will be buying as I get the money, so it will take a few months to complete. This means as the time comes to buy the next component I will review my choices once more for user found problems and/or updates so I can alter accordingly. But over all what do you experts think, it is the first build but might start doing it as a hobby :dremel:. I have had lots of fun researching it. :rock:

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

What res is your monitor and what games are you playing? Not too many games (esp MMOs) would need a 5970 at any common resolution, if you want that card you might as well include a 30" LCD with your build..

Don't forget peripherals, a badass fast PC with a crap keyboard and mouse will feel like crap.

EDIT: I support your use of emoticons :thumb:

3. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

oo thanks for your responce.
    42" HD tv so i didn't add that in with my build because ii allready have it, and useing wireless keyboard and mouse so I dont hurt my neck while playing lol.

well I havee been out of the PC world for a while now, while I have a basic knollege, most is outdated.

At the moment im useing my g/f's laptop, decided I wanted to start gaming again e.g Starcraft 2,The old Republic you know what ever I fancy. Don't want to get a game next year and have to struggle. be at least partly future proof.

HeHe they rule :rock:

4. docodine

MMOs generally don't have very high requirements, and SC2 isn't a particularly PC-stressing game.

How 'HD' is your TV? 1920x1080? If so, you'll be perfectly fine with a single 5870. If it's anything lower, just go with a GTX 460 1GB and you'll be good.

5. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

yeah its 1080. I do see what your saying but when looking at say crysis which is a benchmark stress test game set at 1,680 x 1,050 you get average returns 36fps and at the lowest 19fps. for a 2007 game im allready close to the end with that card:waah:. while the 5970 runs and average of 70fps and a minimum of 40fps :eeek: .. and for only £80 more:jawdrop:
    like I said I do want to be slightly future proof :rolleyes: but if you maintain your advice I will look in to the 5870 somemore. Like I said im old and busted :duh: these days :p

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It might be worth taking a lok at the asus boards with usb 3 etc, they're getting some great write ups at the moment, other than that it all looks fine to me.

7. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

i recommend the haf x for its cooling features and its quite a good case except for its 16kg case weight.....you can just drop to a overclocked 5870 to reduce the price of your budget as not many games and apps require the monstrous 5970 and use the money to choose a better mobo

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Mate, looks good.

As for the GPU you did the right thing just have a dig for the best bundle and warranty that takes your fancy for price. Do you need life time or a 3 year?

As for the ram this is something that price really does make a difference I'd say corsair every time great warranty and support and worth the money.

As for the Mobo great choise :) great board and the bios updates are comming thick and fast.

9. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

It was this one or the asus p6x58d-e, was split between them they are pretty much the same. Alot of people like Asus because it is the board they know but the gigabyte UD3R seemed to get better reviews. You have got me thinking again lol :D

10. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

Bios Updates were the problem, there was a reported problem with installing windows 7 too but spent ages reading through test results so you think I should stick with it? Corsair noted! :thumb:

was looking at the saphire 4gig HD 5970. that took me to just above my budget but that was way too powerfull overkill :duh:

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Had no issue with my gigabyte and its got better after the bios updates

12. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

Cheers man!:hip:

13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I'd buy when you have all the money, that way, you will end up spending the least cash :)

As for the rest of the setup, it looks pretty good. However, I would make these changes:

• 5870 instead of the 5970. Enough power, and a good choice overall.
    • Corsair TX650. Much cheaper, as it's just been reduced in price from what I can see, and a great power supply. Has enough power for the 5870, and any upgrades that you do in the future.

Otherwise, it all looks great :D Especially the ATCS 840...black or silver? :D

14. docodine

Take a look at the full tower cases that Lian Li and Silverstone sell as an alternative to the HAF or ATCS (not saying that they're bad cases, but Li Li and Silverstone make some monster cases).

15. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

I put my reason for wanting the 5970 in a reply above but never got a responce once i did :read:. thank you for the tip on the PSU, will check that out next:thumb:.
    840 will have to be in black haha my sky HD box, Surround sound, PS3, TV, and Unit are all black lol would look strange. black,black,black,black,black,SILVER.

docodine, I Have look through the cases in detail, The Haf x is the best performace in the range for cooling at the price, the 840 isn't as good but some of the features are just better and the styling is in my opinion the best but thats just me.

To everyone: But The questions I acually asked havent been answered in additional info :wallbash:.
    :D