1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help Quickly LCD!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by AnarKy, 10 Jul 2004.

1. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

Ive got £35 to spend on LCD Screen. I don't have a clue about these things so if you could help me it would be great.

How do you fit them in the Floppy or Disk Bay?

And I need one for £35, any recommendations?

2. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

3. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

4. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

Im looking for one that will fit in the 5 1/4 Bay or whatever it is, Any help?

5. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Well it's going to be tricky! For example, those LCDs you link to are going to need controllers attaching to them to make them do anything. Bumping up the price. Plus there are as many varieties of LCD as there are hairs on a dog...

Why only £35?

How techie are you?

What do you want it to do?

If it's for machine status or software programming, why not save up for a Matrix Orbital? They are great and fit easily. Lost In Space is another one.. etc.

Just for fun I recently bought a Velleman Kit from Maplin's. It's a 16x1 display with a 46 character memory and scrolling display. So it just repeats this phrase for you - but you can set what's said. It would fit in a 5.25" drive bay once built, but runs from 3v batteries so you'd maybe decide to modify a 5v line from the PC with a resistor (would loose settings on power-down though). Cost £19.99. No backlight. Maybe use an LED... At least there's no worrying about designing circuits with this one!

:D

6. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

All I want it to show is a logo and some stuff about my PC.

7. JohnH

JohnH What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I disagree with the previous comment; both of the displays that you have 'selected' have controllers; the graphics device has a KS0108B and the 16 character 2 line alpha numeric display has 'bog standard' HD 44780 controller.

In order to drive these display you will require some software and there are a variety of options open to you. I would suggest that you take a look at www.lcdhype.de.vu - it is a German product but the author offers support in English - this product supports both display types that you have 'selected'. I use this software for a variety of LCDs both graphic and AlphaNumeric and the URL provides connection/wiring details for both types. If you want any more info please PM me.

Good luck.

JohnH

8. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

You might be right JohnH - I was only going by the Ampire data sheets. I haven't actually used their LCDs myself. I bow to your knowledge.

For the intended usage though, I think this is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut - too much effort. If money really is the constraint on this project, then a steep learning curve (and studying of datasheets!) is needed, along with some soldering skills.

For a logo and MB data you really cannot beat a ready-made (daren't say "pre-mod" around here!) LCD from one of the big boys.

:D

9. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Be aware that many cheap text LCDs don't have an internal UART (the chip that converts the signals from your serial port to signals the controller understands).
    http://beyondlogic.org/serial/serial3.htm
    Just use a PIC; it will use less board space, be easier to find, and even let you to display a message as soon as the computer is on (or if you used the 5vsb line, even when the computer is off! (maybe a front panel LCD that works as a clock when the computer is off?)).

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Both those LCD's can be connected directly to the parallel port. Just use LCD smartie, or jaLCDs or whatever and you can display your system stats. Not difficult :) :thumb:

Read the sticky: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44604&page=1

11. JohnH

JohnH What's a Dremel?

Nigel - I don't disagree with your views - if you do not have the knowledge or skills required to 'build your own' you will be better off with a serial / usb connected device as there is less chance of getting that costly 'little puff of smoke'! I know to my own cost that it is only too easy to destroy an LCD display and sometimes for no apparent reason.

The downside of such devices is their cost - I consider that about £70 (upwards) for a 2 line 20 character display is rather expensive - but you may disagree.

Personally I have designed and built a USB interface to any 'cheap' HD44780 based display and to ensure that it will work with most available software I have made it emulate the CrystalFontz 63x series serial/usb modules. I will be publishing full details and making the PIC software available as soon as the documentation is complete.

JohnH

12. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Hiya guys!

JohnH - no, I wasn't taking any kind of offence! Happy to chew the fat on the subject, that's all :D

SteveyG - There is *no* fuss!! Just discussion. When I said I bow to someone elses knowledge, I simply meant that - there was no *side* to it. I'm not that devious!

I was only offering my two-penny-worth in the time-honoured Bit-Tech way!

I have here, at Casa-Nigelus, four LCDs - that's my lot! But I would like to point out that you *can* buy a Matrix Orbital 16x2 white on Blue display with all controllers and even software, for a mere £46 !! A bargain in anyone's book, surely!! Go along to Kustompcs.co.uk to have a look!

My latest toy is the LIS 2 Premium VFD (Lost In Space etc) and to my mind maybe just a little better than the MO offering - I have one of those MK212's too!

Oh, and I also bought the Velleman kit... Just to play with!! :D