1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help with Skethup

Discussion in 'Modding' started by McGuinness, 11 Apr 2005.

1. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

I'm wanting to make some sketchup designs of a PC I've got in the process of being modded. I've got the basics on how to use the draw feature. Here's a quick sketch to show you.

[​IMG]

Thing is I now want to add things inside the case like the PSU and the CDROM drives, how do I add these as shapes inside what I've already made? Another question, is there some kind of template you use for the motherboards and stuff I see people using in their sketchup designs?

If you make them in the program, HOW?

A site with easy pictorials would be great if you know of any! Cheers!

Last edited: 11 Apr 2005
  2. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

http://www.jazzle.co.uk/scc :)

You can use a section plane to cut into your model and add components inside. You could also turn on wire frame or X-Ray view.

I notice that the window you have drawn is not properly attached to the side face of the case. The same applies to the circles on the bottom. That's why the colours are messed up. Remember your draw line will change to red, blue, or green depending on the axis you are parallel to.

3. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

That link doesn't help at all? :confused: I asked for a site that has pictorials of how to make things like's shown on that page.

Also, I in that design I line them all up so that they are on the blue axis. Which is in alignment with the other points on it.

So for example, in the image shown, how would I make the block for the PSU showing through here when I put it on wireframe? I've googled and searched Sketchup's own website. But they don't provide any proper information on how to use the program.

A lot of people have said it's very easy to use, I guess I must just be a retard! I find it very easy to draw the shapes. But, don't quite understand how I progress from here to define shapes inside the actual case, and get them to line up inside of it.

[​IMG]

Cheers for any help you may be able to provide.

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

the site ouija gave u is a website created my jazzle who is member here at bittech who has gone round and collected a good amount of PC components that have been created in sketchup.. now these can be imported into your current design and saves you the time of drawing them yourself.. and they are very easy to insert into the current drawing..

for me when i started using sketchup i didnt no much about it like you... best thing to do is play around with it all... it came to be pretty quickly..

another thing to do is read this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=46003 its all about sketchup and it would be easier to find help there most of the time...

5. McGuinness

McGuinness Banned

Cheers Springs. Might just be me, but I'm stubborn and like to learn how they are created rather than "borrowing" someone elses creation. :)

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i no what you mean... but IMO making compuer components is quite a hard job.. not really for the beginner..

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

There are several dozen tutorial videos on the Sketchup website which are very useful. When I first started using Sketchup, I watched every single one and it really does make the program far easier to learn.