1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News High-end Fermi will ship this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I would be extremely surprised if NVIDIA is actually able to get cards to consumers before 2010.

3. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

I hope you'll look into the PC usage of such GPU/CPU hybrid since it's without sense to buy a hybrid CPU/GPU solely for rendering frame.
    Such can be done cheaper, more efficiently and simpler with ATI approach.
    Are we to expect Fermi based motherboards,without x86 processors?

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

They aren't going to sell that many at £800 each...

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

There might be workstation-class cards available, as they're ridiculously expensive so actual volume sold is low, which would allow nVidia to say, "Look, cards are in the market" but consumer-grade cards before next year? I'm doubtful.

Not to say I won't be happy if they do get them out, but I smell paper launch with possibly a few cards going to review sites, then no real availability for end-users until late January/February next year.

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

This and Tims previous writeup of Nvidia shenanigans make me think Nvidia are desperate for that one-up on the new ATI cards. It happens everytime one of them bring their cards to market, but this time I think Nvidia are maybe a little too desperate and getting it wrong?

7. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

One thing that can be said for Nvidia is that they are timely - I'd imagine consumer Fermi parts will arrive when there is a need for them. Redesigning G80/G92 to support DX10.1 would have been a huge waste of time and money when you consider the number of titles that came out to make use of it. DX11 is coming but the titles that will use it releasing in the next 6 months you can count on a pigeon's foot. Nvidia will have learned from DX10 and the G80 that releasing parts before there are titles to test them on is foolhardy. I'd rather they took their time and got it right.

8. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

it will be here this year. in very limited quantities. almost like the gtx 295 launch.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

all I know is if they didnt work on lowering the power requirements like for example what AMD did with the ATI 5870 then no thanks. Im tired of inefficient power hungry heaters ~_~

Last edited: 4 Oct 2009
  10. Tim S

Tim S OG

11. HourBeforeDawn

who cares about idle, its not to hard to make something use less power when not under load, its load that Im more concerned about which causes the need for higher wattage power supplies, thats what really counts on my books, dont get me wrong idle is important too but its the overall size of the psu needed at load that Im more concerned about.

Which bye the way the 285 has a horrible load compared to the 5870

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Did you read the text underneath the graph?

13. HourBeforeDawn

ur point? Im sure under furmark it would push a card past its designed operating spec/normal load conditions, regardless even still it draws less then the 285, so what did the 285 draw at that particular scene in Vantage?

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009
  14. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If it does, I'll eat my shoes.

By the way, more often than not the card is idle, you don't spend every living moment gaming you know.

Tags: Add Tags