1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Home Made Watercooling

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DSquareD, 5 Aug 2007.

1. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

So i am planning a big complete mod of my case and i dont have the funding to buy a good watercooling unit so i was thinkin of making my own (well atleast the parts that i can make...ie not the waterblocks and such)

i intend on using plexi pipes/tubes instead of the usual plastic flimsy tubing. is this a plausable idea?

and also if anyone can direct me to a guide as to how i can make my own water cooling system that wud b great.

comments please

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Extremely tricky. Apart from having to source it, you have to plan the loop carefully and cut each pipe exactly to size, taking account of all the elbows, and then glue it together... Moreover upgrading would become very difficult, as motherboard and graphic card will have their chips in slightly different locations, which requires you to move the blocks, which requires you to move the pipes...

People use flexible tubing for good reasons.

For guides, locate the "Useful Watercooling Threads" sticky in Extreme Cooling.

3. DSquareD

ye i had only thought of these problems after i came up with the idea but i think it will b a nice change from the usual flexible tubing and it will give it a more industrial feel in a sense. like its ment to be there.

can u post a link to that thread please?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

5. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Can you buy clear plastic elbows? That would help alot as they allow a bit of flexibility.
    Maybe you could use flexy tube as the elbows; heat it a bit and put it over the outside of the acrylic tubes, so you could have straight bits with flexible corners....

6. DSquareD

thats a great idea...
    so i read the full thread on watercooling and i gotta admit..
    I STILL HAVE NOT A CLUE!!!
    maybe im an idiot but i just dont understand it much...anyone care 2 explian in easy (eeasier) english?

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

If you are trying to save money it seems like replacing the tubing (one of the cheaper parts) for something more complicated may not be the best answer. And you can make the blocks... and the radiator (if you want) but making blocks is fairly common and a bit of searching on these forums will give you many examples of people who have done it. One guy made a block for pretty much every component (and the radiator too).

As for the guide, read it over again... and again. And of course, visit the Project Logs forums for more fantastic examples of water cooling.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like this idea. You could make a maze of pipe like the windows screen saver.

You need to use a small diameter tube. A really fat tube would be hard on the pump.(more water to push.)
    How do I explain that...
    The pump can push a set amount of water vertically. A small tube has less water in it, so it can go higher.

I'm planning hard lines in my water loop. I'm using short bits of hose to finish each connection.

9. DSquareD

ye thats where the idea came from...i was talking to a frend and i cnat remember wat we were discussing but we got onto using the game "pipe dreamz" as an example for sumthing...anywhoo...the point is that thats where i got the idea from..to make a sorta pipeline for the water cooling. i know it wud b more expensive but thing is that everything in this mod is gonna take sum type of funding whether it be money, sweat, effort or dare i say it blood...the point im making is that maybe saying the cost shudnt b such a prob...like most of the premade systems in my country are pretty pricey and so i thought i cud go along the lines of making my own radiator and blocks and then buy a fish tank pump and use the pipeline idea for tubing to transport the fluid...

so i reread it and im understanding a bit more...and im searching on guides or project logs on how to make my own waterblocks for the GPU, CPU and maybe the RAM and HDD's (preferrably all of em but vitals are the processors)

if anyone can direct me onto where i can find how to make a water block for these items...that wud b super...

10. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

if done rite and the pipes used in an aestheticly pleasing way i think it could work out well. but what tubing would you use white plastic?? because imo that stuff looks nasty.

josh/gingermonkey

EDIT: woo 700 posts

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

it can be done but would be kinda hard

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I think a bloke did that a while back on these forums, didn't turn out too badly.
    What you really need to concentrate on is the rad and the CPU block, because both of them not done right will seriously damage the performance.

13. DSquareD

ye i know that much and i mite simply buy the blocks and the rad and build the res and pipelines for the coolant to run thru out of plexiglass. ill post sum pics of my idea as soon as im done in sketchup