1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Hudl VS NOOK HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHunter, 9 Oct 2013.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

What are you views?
    these 2 very reasonably priced tablets seems to come up a lot and I was wondering which would be better as a first tablet / Tablet that you would not mind small children using?

THe only tech spec I can find that suggest one over the other is the quad core CPU on the Hudl.

But I would like some more practical info before I make a choice.

I guess finding roms for the older Nook HD would be a fair bit easier too.

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

The Hudl is running nearly stock android so I would say that counts in it's favour. Saying that I don't know what the Nook HD runs.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Tesco sell Hudl , sainsburys sell nook hd - go play with each of them?

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The Nooks got a fantastic screen although I've not seen what the Hudl's like. It has also got official cyanogen mod support so if you want stock android its easy and stable and a 5 or even 6 version of android will probably get created for it. I doubt the Hudl will get an official upgrades and the mod community won't be huge as its UK only. Finally its even cheaper than the Hudl.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nook HD is becoming harder to find - B&N are pulling out of the tablet market, and they've recently slashed the price to £79 to get rid of their stock, and it seems to have worked. You can't buy from the Nook site, and finding somewhere that has any in stock is a bit of a miracle.

For that price (£79), you can't really grumble at the Nook - it does run B&N's own heavily modified (and, tbh, not that good) Android version, although you can put CM 10.1.3 on it for a more stock Android. At £129, the Nook HD+ (9" screen) is even better value.

Obviously, there's no CM for the Hudl, although as meandmymouth, it looks to be running an almost stock Android with just a few extra Tesco apps added on top. If you've got Tesco vouchers, the price comes down (I think you can double up the voucher value when putting them towards a Hudl).

I have to say, if you're tight on money, try to find a Nook. I got one for my wife, and it's a good enough tablet for the money (certainly much better than the cheap eBay tablets for similar prices), and you can always chuck CyangenMod on there if you don't like the stock B&N interface.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would love to be able to do that sadly don't have a car and live in Belfast NI. So thats not really an option. Have a PC world/what ever its called here they might have a Nook HD. THe HD+ I have found so far only on very.co.uk for £120 so far looks like a viable alternative as well. THis has a 1.5 GH dual core.

Does it make much difference, besides in gaming, if the tablets is dual or quad core in real life terms?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I am picking up a Hudl mainly because it costs a couple of quid after my clubcard vouchers, its performance seems good enough and you can remove Tesco stuff from it, has uSD card slot, HDMI connectivity and stock connectors for power etc are bonuses as are the bright colours for kids.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yeah I see that point sadly had a few issue with TESCO after they switched us to a different TESCO (deliveries) that refuses to stock half the items we like to buy. So no voucher boosting for me sadly.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Bear in mind, also, that the HD+ is a 9" tablet compared to the 7" of a Hudl.
    In real terms, probably not. Unless you're playing a full 3D game, the most you're going to be taxing your tablet with is HD movies, something which the HD+ handles with aplomb (according to a TechRadar review) - and the ability to add SD card storage to the HD+ is another (pun intended) plus.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Confirmed. I can scroll backward and forward seamlessly is 1080p with a HD+ and mxplayer.
    The catch is the low RAM particularly in combination with the high resolution of the HD+ can mean you get storage speed related slowdowns occasionally.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

so netflix HD may be an issue, if I read that correctly?

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I doubt it but I've never used netflix. Streaming from a LAN hard drive has worked fine. It just means apps load a little slow and with some stuttering, particularly if you jump between games or other high load apps.

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

14. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Netflix and streaming from a NAS etc are a bit different, I think, as the device has to do some work when receiving a Netflix stream, decompression etc. That's what keeps the bandwidth requirements so blissfully low (better quality than iPlayer on 20% of the bandwidth, etc).

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just put vids on appropriately encoded to the device, it had limited storage so convert them to its res 1440x900 or 720p, it'll be more than good enough @ 7" and save you space.

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just did a test and my HD+ was absolutely perfect software decoding 1.5GB per hour (somone else can work out the bit-rate from that) H.264 720p. No 1080p on it currently so I can't try that. Hardware always works though and I'd imagine that would be true of netflix too.

17. defined

defined Botch-Job

was also looking at the hudl myself, done a bit of research and it seams the better choice would be a Asus memo pad HD7, its only a tenner more i think online. seems to be the better of the both with better speakers and screen and it doesn't have tesco on the back :D

EDIT; just realised that the hudl offers hdmi connectivity while the asus does not

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

well I went and bought a NOOK HD+ should arrive next week. Shall see how it goes.

19. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

To late for the OP but I seen Argos are releasing there own tablet call MyTablet costing £99.99. It runs Jelly Bean with a 1.6GHz dual core, 1024x600 res screen with 8GB of memory. I've not seen any reviews as of yet though. Review from the Independent here