1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Idea for pc remote

Discussion in 'Modding' started by planki, 25 Mar 2004.

1. planki

planki ...

Ive build meself a htpc and i love it and i run mythpc as a frontend, but at the moment to use it ive got a mouse hooked up and sitting ontop of my speaker so its pretty useless as you have to walk over to the htpc to use it.

I was thinking last night that what i need is an rf remote but with buttons like left right up down (ie arrow directions), enter, escape, back, but also a scroll.

Now this is where my idea kicks in for the scroll i was thinking of having circular bit of plexi like on the ipod that is used to scroll round to browse the list but i was thinking that this could be achieved by placing the scroll wheel of a dismantled mouse under a circular bit of plexi so when the plexi is turned it turns the scroll wheel aswell.

It could also be styled around the ipod or similar aswell but would be a pretty useful gadget to control my htpc.

Anyone got any ideas on how this could be achieved?

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

well yeh like you said, have the scroll wheel from the mouse like 90degrees to the edge of the plexi and it should rotate like cogs. sounds simple enough.
    have fun pulling it off pal.

also if u wanna style it off an ipod u can look at mine for inspiration :hehe:

3. planki

planki ...

i need someone that has some ideas on the like circuit's n stuff on how to make it though!!! :p

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

rip up an old mouse?
    it would still be wired though... add length!

5. planki

planki ...

yeah i could use the button feature of when you press the scroll wheel in as enter or summit, i would still need like a back button though etc also if i could power it on and off aswell it would be awesome!

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Gyration mouse is pretty stupid IMO. It's like any other wireless mouse, but its made so you can hold it in your hand easier. Since this is a HTPC, I would recommend buying a RF remote. You can program the buttons on it to do the functions you want. Plus it will look in place in you home theater setup. If you wanted to the iPod-style scroll thing, I'm not sure how you would create one on your own, but the cheapest, simplest way would be to take a pot knob and replace the knob with a rounded piece of plexi, then loosen the knob so it spins more freely. The only problem with this is that knobs usually only turn to a certain point, though you may be able to find one that doesn't or modify an existing one.

8. kiljoi

I don't know, one of my friends had one for his HTPC, and with the gyration feature, he just used it like a laser pointer. Workes with good distances, and the one he had was rf, so it didn't need to be line of sight, he could control his comp before he could see it.

9. TekMonkey

How is a mouse like a laser pointer? :eyebrow: Almost all wireless are RF now. They're as cheap as IR mice.

10. kiljoi

You can either use it on a flat surface like a mouse, or hold it in your hand and use it like a pointer, it still controls the cursor, just makes things easier. It takes a few minutes to get used to though, and is NOT for gaming.

11. planki

planki ...

i dont want a gyration mouse as well quite frankly you would look like a fool waving your arms around in the air controlling the thing......

I have looked at like the ati remote but they are pretty big and theres just loads of features that i dont really need by having a custom built remote would be a lot better and more suited for my needs.

Plus it gives me an excuse to use some blue led's and some white plexi!!!

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Not to get too OT, but...

We use Gyrations products here at work. Both thier keyboard and Wireless GyroMouse. With a 100ft RF range, the BEST support I have ever seen for Multiple RF devices (keyboards/remote/mice), they are great. Not to mention, they happen to be great for HTPC and will be what I use when I build mine.

BTW - You don't have to "wave" your hands around. Just simply kick back with the mouse in your hand an 'point' it where you want the cursor. :D

Back On Topic: Why not hack apart a wireless RF mouse (with a scroll wheel) for your idea. A nice molded plexi case (small) like an iPod as you mentioned, relocate and remake the left/right click buttons. Then use your idea of the 90* rotated scroll wheel. Sounds like it would be pretty bitchin, and if you use a hacked-up RF Optical Mouse - no wiring or electronics to mess with... :D

13. planki

planki ...

yeah gd idea but somehow gotta get it still to be able to move around the screen so i would need one of the mouse buttons to be like a tab key then to jump around the screen and then a back button then i could press down on the scroll wheel to act as enter.

14. TekMonkey

I've got an RF remote that came with my ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card. It has a directional pad that lets you move the cursor around. Its a little hard to click small places, but its half-decent.

15. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Wel, if you hack apart a Optical Mouse, you can just but the little "eye" on the bottom of your remote and just set it on your leg or something to move the mouse cursur.

Of course, you could hack apart a Wireless Trackball instead?? :naughty:

EDIT: Tek - The 'Pad' is kinds like on this: http://www.interlinkelec.com/products/retail/remotepointrf.htm : right?

Also, if you don't like Gyration. These are also a cool options, with mosue built in...

http://www.interlinkelec.com/products/retail/rfkeyboard.htm

16. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Just get a ATI remote wonder or a wireless keyboard/mouse. Or both.

PEACE

17. planki

planki ...

These are still all valid ideas about having wireless mice and keyboards and ati remotes but i wanna summit unique like! but thanks for the input!

18. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Dude, that's what I have been saying. But, I would imagine you are going to hack apart either (i) Wireless Mouse or (ii) a wireless trackball, then build it into a custom 'case', no??

Or are you going to design, build and wire a wireless controller...and write a driver...from scratch?? ****, props if you can...but... :duh:

19. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

I think you miss the point of the Gyration mouse completely. In the 'gyro' mode, you can lift it up and use it like a laser pointer to point it at anything on the screen to move the mouse pointer to that area on the screen. You don't need any surface to use this mouse in this mode.

20. planki

planki ...

yeah i want i will probably rip apart a wireless mouse or summit cos i dont think i have the time or brain power to design a custom wireless circuit and driver