1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indestructible Watch

Discussion in 'General' started by udjamaflip, 5 Nov 2006.

1. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

My 21st birthday is in december, my parents wanted to get me something good. chains/bracelet etc was suggested, i thought about a watch but any watch i seem to have i break damage or scratch to oblivion, in magazines etc i have seen some watchs which provide a life time guarantee as they claim to be indestructible.

My main question is does anyone out there know what they are like, if so whats the brand/model of it?

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Well, if it helps, my Fossil watch has withstood quite a bit of punishment from me.
    Mainly cos of work.

But still, the glass front has marked, even though its not supposed to or whatever!
    Free insurance for me though, need to claim a replacement ;)

3. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Titanium ones are meant to be good, although depending on the manufacturer, some may be more scratch prone than others (I think it's to do with the heat treatment), but it's stronger and lighter than steel.

Or you could go for a Casio G-Shock - damn near indestructible, made from polycarbonate resin, although they do have a plastic 'crystal'...

Divers' watches are another option - generally made from stainless steel with a sapphire crystal and rated (if not guaranteed) to 50-200 meters, they ought to survive your local pool.

- H.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have a G-Shock and **** these things are hard to kill.
    The one of my hand still has a load of sand in it from both the Omani desert and Iraq.

Nice strong strap as well.

5. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I have a fossil. I accidently hit it against a big wooden firedoor real hard. I was like "oh noes!" then when I looked at the watch it was fine, it just had bits of door on it.

6. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

What about the Oakley TIME TANK
    It seems to be very solid as it is made out of light weight titanium and it looks just bad a**! Only downpart (for me at least) is the price of about ~1k$

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

from experience G-Shock are no were near indistructable i broke 2 in a year. Have to say so far though my current animal watch Big stainless steel thing LINK << that one. It seems pretty stronge but its quite heavy. I'll tell ya how it copes after a couple weeks of beach abuse and salt water :), been to the beach once with it and it lasted not scratched or anything but we shell see :).

morgan

8. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Rado V10K... The body is actually diamond! You don't get much more scratchproof than that!

Of course the cost might be a problem :D

9. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

The animal watches are pretty tough, mines lasted 5 yrs of abuse, ranging from beaches and water to getting beat to hell inside engine bays and under dashboards, on my third strap but the watch itself still keeps perfect time

10. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I want a TagHeuer Carrera Tachymetre with black dial. I don't think they are "indestructable" but they have sapphire glas wich is supposed to be stratch-resistant.

They cost about 1000£ so I reckon they should be pretty solid.. No titanium though, just steel.

L

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Omega provides lifetime guarantees, but I think it is only for selected lines.

12. Strategy

Strategy Banned

I can suggest the Tag Aquaracer line, have one myself and having dropped a sledge hammer on the face of it without it leaving a mark, I'd say it's a tad more than sturdy. :)

13. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

I have a price limit of around £400-£500 so the tank watch is out of my price range.

Has anyone got a link to these G-shock watchs which have been mentioned?

14. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

with a price tag of £400-500 G-shock is small fry go higher. Animal or Tag would be the best option.

Morgan.

15. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

The following is from my wife, who is a part-time jeweler:

Hello udjamaflip,

Have you considered purchasing a watch constructed from Tungsten Carbide? Tungsten is a natural dark gray metal that is impossible to scratch. You could toss your watch in a blender and the bracelet wouldn't scratch! I wouldn't recommend doing that however, if you don't want to screw up your movement and your crystal. What type of work do you do that you need the watch to be indestructible for? Tungsten is great if you simply want the watch to be scratch proof, but if you need water resistance, battery longevity and a good warranty, I would go with a Citizen Eco-drive sky hawk or dive watch. All Citizen Eco-Drive watches require no batteries. They have a solar cell underneath the face of the watch that provides energy to the watch movement. You'll never have to worry about replacing the battery and if your watch ever starts to lose time, simply place it under a lamp for about 4 hours and it will be fully charged. I bought an Eco-Drive for my husband and he really likes his! Check out: http://www.citizenwatch.com/index.asp for all Citizen watches. They have one of the longest warranties in the watch industry and they've been around for quite awhile. If Tungsten is appealing to you, check out: http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/tungsten-watches.html.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2006
  16. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

That's what I have. Havn't dropped a sledgehammer on it though :O

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm not sure the Eco-drives are that sturdy. I've got one atm and although it's a nice watch, and the battery aspect is great - I wouldn't expect it to survive anything more then some fairly light knocks against stuff.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i've got an animal watch that uses kinetic do prah to save needing to change the battery.
    it's a year old and been screwed over so many times.. but it's not got a scratch on it. Nice red face too

19. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Nite make watches for the military, including the SAS. I'd imagine they have to be pretty tough. Never actually seen one in person though.

20. dom_

dom_ --->

From the brands mentioned don't buy a Tag (over priced), fossil (standard Miyota movements), animal (same Miyota movements) etc.

Only decent suggestions so far have been Omega or Rado.

Citizen are fine, but the movements are still Miyotas just the one up from there base model usually, except for the eco's and so on, still nothing special though. Not a prestige watch even though some go for prestige prices.

Omega on the other hand have decent ETA or better movements and the cases are well made. Look for sapphire crystal glass.
    If you can afford a Rado get a ceramic one. Pretty much scratch proof.

When you jump up to a prestige brand like Omega or Rado you reach a new level, where servicing costs more. But the watch will last a long time. Parts will be available and watchmakers will be able to work on them. Rather than a problem meaning the movement is swapped for a new Miyota pos.
    The straps are solid links rather than folded/pressed the cases are machined out of billet rather than casting etc etc.
    You get a much better watch that will last longer and looks nicer.

If it was my money and i wanted a watch that would last, i would get a ceramic Rado.