1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel founds Netbook and Tablet Group

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Sounds like intel's panicking..

Last edited: 10 Dec 2010
  3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It does sound like they're nervous, doesn't it...

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Well at least thats how the article makes it out. Truthfully it could just be a sound business decision also. If the market is expected to net some 55-65 million in profit for 2011 then I think we can realistically expect that to keep growing in the years to come or at least stay at a relatively consistent level. There would be no reason for them NOT to try and get their foot in the door of the tablet market.

I'm thrilled for it to be honest, if for no other reason it will drive competition and keep prices more reasonable for us consumers.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Intel fought off VIA's superior Nano with their atom, so I expect they can fight off ARM in netbook.

6. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

I don't think Intel are looking to usurp ARM, just to get themselves a bit of the pie.

ARM have a fantastic market position in the smartphone/tablet sector, it would cost Intel an absolute fortune in R&D and vendor incentives to even catch up. I can't see why from a business standpoint they would bother.

Netbooks are a whole different ballpark, I'd expect Intel to own that for the foreseeable.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

keep in mind arm isn't the only threat. if amd's next chips are as powerful and low-wattage as they claim, intel not only has to deal with arm taking tablets and phones away from them but they have amd taking away everything else. amd graphics are also better, and as far as i'm aware, arm chips can work with nvidia's so i'm not really sure how intel is going to make something efficient enough.

i like the idea of competition but intel tends to ruin the fun of competition, i would like it if they just butt out and let arm do their business.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

They didn't fight it off as much as VIA failed to bring a suitable quantity to market.

Tags: Add Tags