1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jul 2010.

1. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

What does Kellogs have to do with it?

2. dactone

dactone dact-one

amd! here i come!

well not for a couple of years,until my 920 is out of date. :)

3. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Luckily for Intel, they're alone in the CPU market. No, wait...

With each passing day, the likelihood that I replace my Q9550 with another Intel CPU decreases.

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

SOME IMPORTANT POINTS PEOPLE ARE MISSING....

what if the unlocked processors allow us overclock to reach 5ghz on air,and amd ain't got anything like it....

5. dec

dec [blank space]

wow. Im sure with news like this 750s and 920/930's will FLY off the shelves.

Please let Fusion be good Please let Fusion be good

6. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I think intel has got a bit peeved that top level performance is available on such low cost chips - and that some pc builders are selling pre-overclocked systems.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Are you guys kidding? This is our chance to overclock our hard drives and USB sticks, with one simple number!

:lol:

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  9. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

This will be better for AMD, all the way!

Let's go back to AMD. ;-)

10. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

Special K brand (from Kellog) reference to the i5K/i7K processor that are unlocked. Article suggests that only way to OC in the future may be with the *K processors, unless motherboard manufacturers can come up with a workaround.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The slides indicate a limited multiplier overhead offered by Intel for normal CPUs, but unlocked "K" editions will still be available to push the CPUs to their limits

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Same here. By the time I need to upgrade my mighty 920, CPUs will be a few generations down the line! Let's hope by then Intel are in a more generous mood...or AMD are making better chips :D .

13. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Surprised? No. I imagine that overclocking has been tolerated by Intel (& AMD) because it's a selling point for their chips within a certain niche market, and it does no major harm to their bottom line. Intel have clearly decided that they'll make more by limiting it to more expensive chips, saving money on manufacturing and also preventing enthusiasts from getting massive performance from "value" parts - who can blame them? If this turns out to be the case, if we really want to overclock all we can do is choose not to buy their products and to move to AMD instead.

As a side point, I bought an i7 860 partially on the basis that its Turbo Boost was good enough that I wouldn't need to manually overclock it until it e.g. ceases to deliver adequate frame rates in games.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

While reading that article the thought did cross my mind to buy a quick 750 system. If I wasn't planning on building a gaming/workstation beast using the enthusiant version of Sandy Bridge I probably would have in a heartbeat. Clever thing, though, is that Intel just makes more money that way. Geniuses, them!

15. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

And i to day i was waiting for this.

Lets hope AMD's on top form at the end of the year instead then..

16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think there will be two chipsets.
    One for oem builders and that don't care for over clocking and one for enthusiasts.
    Intel arn't stupid
    It all come back to them ,Nand chips, Chipsets

17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Like a few others, I'm not surprised. But tbh, since when have Intel "cared" about enthusiasts? AMD may have the inferior architecture atm, but they've outwardly supported the enthusiast market for a long time and hold overclocking events etc.

The average man on the street doesn't overclock and that's where most of the money is. So why should Intel be interested?

It's definitely interesting news, because I might've considered one of these. However, as other people have said - performance is what matters. If a stock clocked Intel outperforms an overclocked AMD, how many will go for AMD just because they like overclocking? There are far more variables involved. Pricing/platform costs, different tasks, cores, heat etc......

18. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

It does look bad for intel overclocking but they do mention unlocked CPU's and 57 bins. I am pretty sure that translates to a x57 multi and sandy bridge is new architecture so I will wait and see what happens.

19. pearl.of.wisdom

pearl.of.wisdom montonies

OMG! I note how many comments now seem to favour AMD, how the worm changes even now.
    Still, we can't allow this travesty to actually come to pass. Be forced to pay $1000 to get the high peformance we crave, instead of <$300? If Intel actually intends this, that must truely belive that
    [1] they rule the whole bloody world and [2] we are all screaming effing idiots.
    If they do this, we'll have to boycott them. *******s.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Aw man as I was so ready to switch to Intel because they have a better product then they go and show their true colors.

Well F--k you very much Asstel if I didn't want to overclock I would of bought a MAC.

AMD please take me back.

Tags: Add Tags