1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel rubbishes Windows RT's chances

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 11 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Intel exec doesn't rate Windows on ARM?? Shocker! :p

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Perhaps they should just pay microsoft to stick to their platform, like they do with everyone else.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Trying to rubbish Windows RT because it doesn't support the same desktop software as Windows 8 is nonsense: RT was never designed for full-fat desktops, because up until now ARM based systems have never been designed for such things either.

It's like Porsche dismissing the Ariel Atom because it doesn't have an on-board computer.

5. oblivion181

oblivion181 What's a Dremel?

When are ARM processors for desktops going to be released :(.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Think you missed the point....

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

1986, as a companion chip for the BBC Micro.

What? :p

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

It is relevant. His point is businesses won't jump to ARM designs as they will lose legacy support. Which keeps Intel in the game while they improve their chips to be more competitive with ARM, thus making a move to ARM more hassle than its worth and winning the long race.

I can say, as a consumer, that I have no interest in an ARM tablet/laptop hybrid for those very reasons. Any such device I buy will be X86 based (probably AMD for the GPU). Maybe in time as more software I use is ported over to ARM but if desktop chips remain competitive I have no reason to take that hit at all.

9. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Except in this case the Porsche will likely be so close to the price of the Ariel Atom that the Atom won't be successful; I think ARM is going to have to seriously differentiate the price of their tablets with RT from the Intel offerings, which may be difficult.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

My point was that someone's who interested in tablets aren't interested in legacy programs. At the moment, 99% of tablets are iOS or Android, neither of which support anything other than their own relatively recent offerings.

People who buy tablets want the tablet experience, i.e, ultra portable streamlined media consumption. They aren't interested in anything else. To them, an Intel based Win8 tablet is no different to an ARM based WinRT tablet. Intel's legacy program point is regarding a feature no-one cares about.

That was what I was trying to get at with the car analogy: people who are interested in the Atom for what it does (i.e. mental track racing) aren't going to be instead persuaded to buy a Porsche because of an on-board computer. It's simply irrelevant to them.

11. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

We'll still have windows 7 :clap:

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Intel has no reason to worry. Win8 will be a failure like Vista.

13. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Never. That's what Nvidia was trying to do. Nvidia's ARM solutions can't even beat out other ARM implementations. All of which vie for the same market. They all strangle each other to death by their wallets. While Intel stays busy and develops better manufacturing processes far ahead of ARM vendors. Intel also goes on to do things that everyone said was impossible two years ago. ARM will never make it do the desktop and they will have some serious market share losses if Intel keeps meeting roadmaps. Tick tock, tick tock, ARM has little time left.

14. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'd at least wait for Silvermont before calling the death knell of Intel. 22nm on a brand new architecture for the Atom line is nothing to be taken lightly.

15. duckenberg

duckenberg What's a Dremel?

Intel has everything to worry about -an ARM laptop with 20 hours of battery life could be quite a crowd-puller this Xmas. If such a product were to run Ubuntu Linux rather than Windows RT then the Ubuntu "Wine" application could be used to run both current and legacy X86 programs.

Tags: Add Tags