1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel rumoured to be looking for McAfee buyer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

For someone who made such crappy software, he makes some valid points. I actually didn't know Intel owned McAfee AV. Last I heard, Dell did (or maybe Dell is just an affiliation?).

I hope Intel gets rid of this crapware though. It's some of the worst protection I've encountered. I'd prefer a virus over McAfee.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Really? It was pretty big news at the time, and even triggered an EU investigation.
    Oooh, do I get to post this again?

WARNING: Above video is in no way suitable for work, children, the easily offended, or... well, anyone, really. Amusing, though.

4. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Truth to be told their software was perfectly fine during early 90s. The era of DOS, real computer viruses (modern "viruses" are gigantic pieces of bloat that rely on users-s stupidity rather than programming proficiency of the author ...), BBSes and floppies was when McAffee " viruscan" as it was called back then was actually useful as it complemented few other programs in this area to cover all the major threats.

By the time McAffee anti virus software became bloatware that you know for 10+ years now the company has been sold on and McAffee had nothing to do with it except for lending his name.

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Never understood why Intel bought them... Patents?
    I even thought that they would create something on the cpu exclusively for that AV so that it could run faster, or not burden the cpu...

But AV nowadays don't burden the cpu scanning files...

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I hope John McAfee ends up buying it back for a pittance at some point down the line, just for lols :)

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Please take note that Mcafee is more than just AV. the avg home user knows it as AV but the IT security industry (i work in it) spans around 60-70 different technologies from Mcafee/intel security most of which sit firmly in the enterprise space

8. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Intel was going for the business class protection when they bought it, not to sell it to joe average.
    It's odd though that they didn't immediately bury the toxic name at least.