1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils Quark, Bay Trail and 14nm Broadwell

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Intel clearly aren't standing still.

3. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

but why did they skip protons and neutrons and go straight from atoms to quarks?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Seems like a fair point!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I would guess it's to provide room to grow: Quark will always be the smallest embedded processor Intel offers, but should it decide to introduce new models larger than Quark but smaller than Atom it's got a few choices before it runs out of names in the theme.

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

If a Quark chip has a chipset, is it going to be called the Gluon chipset???

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm really excited for Broadwell. I had to downgrade to my A6 APU build (losing your job and having bills to pay makes you do desperate things) so I'm running a pretty low-end system ATM. New job (better than the last one even!) thankfully, but I'm not gonna invest back into an Ivy or Haswell system. Gonna hold off till after the new year and go for a Broadwell based system.

I read that they haven't confirmed or denied the inclusion of the iVR on-die. Apparently there's some suspicion that Ivy and Haswell having an integrated voltage regulator is partially responsible for the higher OC temps on those chips. If that ends up being the case, and the iVR is moved off-die for Broadwell, I'll put in the extra money for a nice custom WC loop that I've been wanting to do for a while :p