1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone 3G unlocker released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I have a question - I've got an iPhone on O2 UK. Do I need to unlock it to use it in another country on one of Apple's partner networks? I am going to Canada and I was thinking about getting a Rogers sim card while I'm out there - will that work or would I need to unlock the phone?

3. kempez

kempez modding again!

From what I've heard and seen the users who are unsuccessful with this outnumber the users who were successful 3:1, so may be worth a 'beware' warning.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think iPhones are locked to worldwide, so UK O2 should be fine with ATnT USA.

but there's no reason to keep it locked. a jailbroken iPhone is so much more than an iPhone, my iPhone 2G have:
    -application folders, so my 70+ games will not create cluster
    -TuneWiki, one of Android's best music application, it's on jailbroken phone before Android, works with all my iPod music.
    -SBsettings: love Android's pull-down status bar? use this on the iphone, have access to all your toggle settings AND a process terminator. also has a try to hold 24 icons, so less homepage shuffling.
    -real flashlight, Appstores dim down due to dark ambient, this one goes full bright.
    -Copy&paste between SMS and Mail!

and best of all: Cydia, much better than the Appstore, it even has a Theme app that changes the whole phone's theme within minutes.

besides, using the Dev-team's method to unlock is 100% safe. if you mess up, restore in iTunes to the latest official firmware and everything will be back to normal.

for the unsuccessful unlocks, a simple restore in iTune will get the phone back to normal.

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

mine went smoothly, now abusing my orange unlimited dataplan with mobileme with 3g and everything!

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Yet more proof that hackers are always a step ahead.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Or, at least no more than half a step back :p

8. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting on the 2G iPod Touch jailbreak, which sadly does not seem to have anywhere near the following of the iPhone. I knew Apple was pretty adamant about being closed-source, but this is getting ridiculous. I have yet to come up with a viable reason why I can't even do so much as transfer a text file over USB to the thing; heaven forbid I transfer a file through something other than Wi-Fi and not have to pay extra for an application to do something so trivial.

9. quack

quack Minimodder

Yes, you would need to unlock it to use a Rogers SIM card. Your iPhone is locked to O2.

I've been trying to get yellowsn0w working with my iPhone so I can use T-Mobile instead of O2, so far no luck.

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

which bit you getting stuck with or is it just not playing ball?

11. quack

quack Minimodder

Getting Invalid SIM and SIM Failure messages, just 5 dots no network name.

I'll give it another try tomorrow.

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

the way i got mine to co-operate, hard reset with the other network sim in. Worked fine.

My only bugbare is that if i turn my phone off i have to do a reset to get back onto the network

13. quack

quack Minimodder

Still not working... grr!

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Rather a complicated process, isn't it? I'm happy to buy an iphone, but I'm stuffed if I'm going to pay forty quid a month for it on top of the apple tax at purchase, so this is interesting to me - but it isn't exactly userfriendly. "Use the latest firmware to pwn your phone"? Dowhat? How? Do I need to own a Mac to do this? "Then, add the repositories"? Oh christ, this is starting to sound like Linux, and we know that never bloody works.

Perhaps userfriendliness will come in time.

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

very simple process to do, updating firmware is all done by itunes.

Don't slate a system you've never attempted to use, that goes for iPhone unlocking/pwning as well as linux.

is almost guarenteed to get you shot around here

ChriX likes this.
  16. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

LOL... Well i can say that it always works :confused:

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I have spent, in total, several years being forced to use linux all day, every day.

I spent the first month in a paroxysm of horror at the amount of time everything took, until someone took me aside and said - and I quote directly - "don't worry about it, Phil, this is normal linux ****." This from a decades-experienced software engineer.

Linux is slow and unreliable and horrible and I run screaming from any hint of its presence.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm guessing you're missing the word "Windows" from that sentence. As in: "a decades-experienced Windows software engineer."
    Strange - almost the exact opposite of my experience. My day job is with a company that develops server appliances running Linux, and it's the only choice for what we do - Windows just isn't an option. Couple that with the fact that I've been running it on the desktop for a good while now and I can honestly say that it's streets ahead of where Windows is right now - Windows 7 included.

19. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Did mine when I first saw it on iClarified - and it's brill. I did need to 'reset network settings' but after that it has been flawless. Up till now I had been using a Rebelsim - which is also great for anyone not on O2.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Yeah, fine, for servers. Try doing absolutely anything else with it.

Or rather don't. Don't, and retain your sanity.

Tags: Add Tags