1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone app blacklist confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Like I said in the comment on the first post about this - I give it a month before the guys behind the jailbreaking software get this covered too.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Every phone has a 'phone home' facility for when the phone gets stolen... I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill for this and 'fixing' it could potentially cause more harm than good.

4. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

Do you really think it will take that long?

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Every phone should have an IMEI number too, so if stolen it can be reported to the police and disabled. At least, every mobile I've ever owned had one. This seems like an extra layer of security that is completely unnecessary and there more so Apple can try throwing it's weight around, than to serve any actual useful purpose. :(

6. quack

quack Minimodder

What have this blacklist and the IMEI got to do with each other? The hidden blacklist has nothing to do with stolen phones.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Installer.app and Cydia.app will probably be the first ones on the list :(

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So what's next? MS release a new revision of the XBox that can get a "IF software.installed = pirated DO start.RedRingOfDeath"?

I can see why they included that, still I think this might be misused by Apple in one way or the other.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i see, in the future, a group of hackers hacking the main list and putting all sorts of applications there.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

No, but I operate with the "You can turn a big one down, you can't turn a little one up" and "If it's done faster than quoted, everyone's happy" methods of quoting things :B

11. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

When Nintendo tried to kill Wii homebrew with that Menu Update 3.3 a while back, didn't they suggest that the reason was to 'protect' Wii users from impaired gameplay caused by non-approved software? So Apple decide that a few non-apple apps could potentially cause conflicts with iphone software which would 'impair' iphone users enjoyment of the phone. BAN BAN BAN!

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I completely agree. People love to blame Apple for doing things that everyone does (but then again, they also get plenty of unfair praise too). People will go from whining about Apple controlling the App Store one day to complaining that they should be pulling crappy/broken apps the next.

Stupid bunch of whiners.
    /iPhone owner who wishes bloggers would just stfu and think things through for a change

Tags: Add Tags