1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding iPod DIY: Car charger for your iPod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 17 Jan 2007.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

I built one a while back but lost it and decided to just build another. Basically this device takes a car's electrical socket and gives you a firewire port. Since all iPods have the ability to charge from a firewire connection this is ideal. Also the iPod can take an input voltage on the firewire input from like 7-30 something volts.

Here is the first installment:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So I had one of these laying around from god knows what. You could find one on any old cellphone car plug or other such device.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also found a Firewire jack in my spare parts drawer. I am sure these can be found on any old firewire card or front panel header

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next I hollowed out the plug, mine had no circuitry, but if yours does just remove it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next is to mill out the hole at the end to let the jack fit inside. This is a mockup of what it should turn out like.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next it was time to solder on some wires to my Firewire jack. Red for +12v and black for ground or common.

I will update soon with the rest. Thanks for taking a look

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  2. Warrior_Rocker

This apparently was not too popular, but I update anyway with the finished plug

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here is the plug all soldered to the contacts in the car plug

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I then Superglued the contacts back in the plug

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I then superglued the firewire jack onto one half of the plug

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Picture of the iPod firewire cable all plugged into the new adapter

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I hooked it up to a 12v source just to test, and all was good. I even kept the fuse in the adapter just in case something went wrong

Thanks for taking a look

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Pretty sweet idea there, this may not be popular but I'm a fan of it and all those other from-what-you-already-have mods

4. Valo

Valo Minimodder

no stabilisation what so ever? just 12v into your ipod? pretty hardcore if you ask me... is it possible with usb plug?

5. Warrior_Rocker

If it were usb it would be a totally different story. Keep in mind that the ipod itself can take an input range of about 7-30v on the 12v line. Most modern cars also stabalize the power running in the car anywho. That is also why I included the fuse assembly in mine. I used the old one for quite some time without any issue ever.

If you were building a usb one I would reccomend finding an old cellphone one that outputs like 4.9-5.1 (obviously ideally 5v) and remove the cord and build a usb port onto it. The reason is that you want the switching mode kind and not a linear regulator like a 7805. The 7805 will just get really hot and will be hard to fit a heatsink inside the little case