1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Is DVD9 really enough?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xenos360, 20 Jan 2006.

1. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

this is not meant to start a debate, just another perspective for those few 360 fans in here. though i do see some developers running out of space (mostly RPGs with rendered movies) i dont see how it can be a problem with any other games really.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2006
  2. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

I cant stand rendered cutscenes/movies anymore anyways. Give me real time. The transitions are better and it saves space.

dvd9 for the win!

3. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I don't think it's too small. If you need the extra space you've got plenty of choices. You can put it on another disk. You can use a better compression. You could get rid of all the crap and filler, leaving you with a better game.

I'll admit some games may need more room, but most of the time I think developers are being lazy and just throwing crap in with it.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

they also announced that they will be releasing a pluginable (is that a word?) HDDVD drive for the xbox360, so they have the option later to use HD-DVD's

5. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

it has been said that the HD-DVD drive will be for movie use only. if they made games on HD-DVD then that would alienate all the early adopters (hardcore gamers), confuse consumers, and just make hell with the publishers. i don think they will make games on HD-DVD it would start more problems then solve.

there are really two sides of this issue. yes if a game was full of hours of CGI then it could fill up easily. however with possibilities of these next gen systems still beyond our imagination, i think there will be less of a need for rendered cinimas. IMO real time scenes are far more impressive then rendered (if they look good) because what you see is being powered by the system, anyone can make a good looking rendered movie and really does little to showing off the system's capabilities. on the other side rendered movies still can pull of presentations that real-time can not reach at times.

like i said before the only games that could be effected are RPGs which have come in multi disk sets every previous generation

6. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

8.5GB is fine, if needs be they can always do a final fantasy and start putting games on 4 dicks.

End of.

7. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I look at it this way, a standard dl-dvd disk might be enough for this generation of games, but why limit the developers if they want to expand there games? Developers are not going to put there games on several disks unless they HAVE to (An rpg, it really doesnt matter.). They are going to cut content and spend more time thinking about what is going to actually be kept inside the game rather than having more time developing and debugging there game.

Look at cd to dvd for an example, on the ps2. The early days of the ps2 most games were put on cd's because you didnt need the space. A year or so later, games bloated onto single layer dvd's, and now today there growing even more onto dual layer dvd-roms. If you give them the space, they will fill it. Be it with FMV, more game content, or special features/unlockable content, they will fill it. :thumb:

8. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

the size of a game means little to how much space is taken up on the DVD. morrowind is one of the largest games on xbox and its also one of the smallest. you will see that DVD will be more then enough, even for RPGs as you can with the enchant arms. unlike your speculations that developers would have to cut things out, nothing is being cut out nor has it ever been to fit on another media format in any previous generation. go ahead and keep fooling yourself thinking that we will have content cut out from our games when we will be playing the exact same game as you are.

your so quick to label someone but your bias nature is so obvious. :rolleyes:
    your right that if they have the space they will fill it, however a lot of that could be related with being sloppy and admitted by a developer at obsidion. i much rather my developer not be sloppy and put good refined code for my system to run. the media size makes no impact on their debugging or testing. although you speak only your opinons and speculations, it would seem that the majority does not share your opinion. :D

9. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

You have your opinions, not going to argue with you. These are mine, but you disagree that developers have to worry about what to include in there game due to size constraints? This is kind of asinine, especially when alot of games usually take up just about every inch on a standard dvd (believe me, i burn alot of them). You think they magically stop right there, just big enough to fit on a single disk?

And oblivion, as you have stated is one of the largest games on the 360, however it does not include FMV, which many classic japanese rpg's include (Which in HD, eats up ALOT of space). Even with this however, do you think a first generation game that will probably fill up an entire dual layer dvd, wont need more space later on? I've seen the game, it looks brilliant, but i highly doubt games wont come later on that are much larger, and much prettier.

And as my opinion, games in 2 or 3 years will not be able to fit on a 8gb disk. Godly compression or not, i think it just wont be possible.

10. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

what gets me is that they think that larger games make better games. ya know what, they could make a game that uses a TB and it there is a good chanch that it would still suck. point being, with video games gameplay is more important than how large the game is.

11. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Like I said before it's not just HD cut scenes, it's HD audio, HD texture that will also eat up space.
    As for cutscenes , it's hard to argue. I mean if it's there I'd watch it and we can all say that no real time engine can even touch masterfully created CGI if it could well they wouldn't need CGI and the folks at Hollywood wouldn't need to spent so much on FX and another thing is since games are merging with cinema you won't be surprised to see some actual clips with real actors in games as the consoles progress ala Need For Speed all these bells and whistle take up space there's no way around it.

Yes DVD 9 is enough for a good game, but no it's not enough for all the HD bells and whistles that we've come to expect with a some of todays games.
    And NO CGI does not make a game better, and Street Fighter is still the most kick ass fighter ever.

P.S If they make a game over a TB it better have Street Fighter in it.

Tags: