1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is the AMD 960T a good budget cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewbaccas_nan, 2 Jan 2012.

1. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Hahaha you can't get what I'm on my friend :D

AoE likes this.
  2. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

lol must be good gear, if you decided to go for a p4 lol, i think your mind has told you its 2001 and not 2012 :rock:

Reped

3. chewbaccas_nan

Haha yeah!

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

tried to follow this thread but guess i should have skipped to the end...so let me get this straight...you guys are recommending op to spend how much to "upgrade" to a budget cpu/platform with no upgrade path that will not give him more than a 10% increase in fps (and whether or not he will even see the difference after that) assumming the cores unlock(which most likely will) and are an improvement (full on working and stable (which may very well not happen))?

fanboys amaze me...save your money...whether you save for a current amd chip or intel (and for the record intel would be the smart choice right now)...buying a 960t and board would be a total waste of money...you would be better off getting a new monitor if the money is just burning a hole in your pocket...maybe a new gpu (didn't see what you have)

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well I kind of tried to tell them that but got called a fanboy myself. I agree its not worth it and hes better either saving more and going SB or maybe even waiting till Ivy for a proper 'upagrade' than buying what he's considering now.

6. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

All I did was answer the OP's question in the title :), the conclusion of the thread though had me intrigued .

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  7. trig

well, sure, it would perform better...but worth the cost? no.

btw AoE...do you have any idea what your power usage has gone to since unlocking? just curious...some people are showing moderate increases that one would expect from a 50% increase in cores, which is obviously ideal...others show significantly more...and not to many of them bothered to bench their cpu before trying to unlock to help determine the real gain...crazy...

8. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

power usage, honestly no, all I know is my multitasking has improved about 15-20%

9. barney magru

barney magru What's a Dremel?

Hello there,

To be honest if you're still playing at 1440 resolution then that should be the first area you address, especially when you consider that the q6600 is still a capable enough processor for gaming.

IPS monitors are starting to come down in price now, some recent 22-24" under £150 lg's have been getting good reviews, but either way this is the area you should address first.

After that, a more powerful graphics card to allow you to play at 1920. 6870/gtx 560 for £130-150 or a gtx 560ti/6950 £180-200+. That should set you back £300-350 to improve your gameplaying experience.

In terms of general system performance, a small ssd (60/64gb) with a fresh install of the os and reg used programs, the odd game etc on it would make the system seem snappier and more responsive.

bm

3lusive likes this.
  10. chewbaccas_nan

It was merely out of curiosity why I posted the topic. I can afford a SB build, and yeah my next port of call is to get a new gpu, I just wondered whether changing the whole system out for a budget amd build would be worth it, but seeing as the Q6600 is still fairly decent ill probably stick with it. I'd like to overclock the cpu but I think my motherboard is borked, there seems to be problems with the ram slots, if I bought a second hand mobo i thought might aswell upgrade the whole lot...

11. trig

that would at least make a little more sense then...