1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Is the PS3 backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 14 Nov 2006.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Conveniently, 2,147,483,648 is 2^31, so I'm guessing Yahoo auctions uses a signed 32-bit field to store maximum bids. Strange, however, as a normal signed 32-bit number would allow values from -(2^31) to (2^31)-1 (i.e. 2,147,483,647) - I think I must be close to the answer however.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that this is clearly the "Live8" effect - when London Live8 tickets were given away for free as a kind of ballot, loads of people put them on eBay to make a quick buck. Some people understandably got a bit annoyed by this (either because they had tried and failed to get tickets themselves and lost out to touts, or because they objected morally to the cynical exploitation of tickets to a charity event for personal profit), and there were lots of clearly absurd bids on there (e.g. £5m for a pair of tickets etc.) to spoil the auctions. Clearly the same is happening here - Japanese gamers are peeved at having been denied a zero-day PS3 because some tout paid a Chinese guy $50 to stand in line, then tried to sell it for absurd profit elsewhere. The lesson - if you're going to buy things at launch and then sell them on eBay, use BuyItNow. Personally, I don't see why anyone would pay massively over the odds for something they will be able to buy over the counter for the retail price in a few weeks.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2006
  2. BladeofTheImmortal

BladeofTheImmortal What's a Dremel?

Id hold that number to whomever bid it.

3. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Well I hope that ps3 is backwards compatible, because i own quite a lot of ps2 games. Would i buy ps3 just for blu-ray drive? No, because dvd isn't going anywhere yet :lol:

4. BladeofTheImmortal

BladeofTheImmortal What's a Dremel?

It's mostly backwards compatible for all games. Seriously, there are like what 6,000 PS1/PS2 games out there, give them a break if 100 titles are having a bit of trouble being backwards comp. its still nothing like the Xbox 360s BC, or basically lack thereof.

5. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

its 200, and thats unconfirmed, altho its still a small percentage there is probably more sonys not telling you about

they also keep to theirselves that the games include gran tourismo and final fantasy - which seem to be the only games worth still playing :|

6. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Erm.. "Successful launch" "early indication that people will be buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray drive" :wallbash:

Does the writer of this article actually FOLLOW the games industry or does he just read the morning metro on the tube to work? :hehe: :sigh:

Tags: Add Tags