1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Scalper! Fetches pitchfork and flaming torch... Err hang on, RRP you say?

BeauchN, Goatee and David like this.
  2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I ain't going to find a mug to pay more than I did for it! :D

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

[​IMG]

Moved my mining rig into a prototype unannodised REVOCCASES RCC-BIG560. 2 degrees warmer than an open test bench but much better protected.

[​IMG]

wyx087, BeauchN, David and 1 other person like this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

20210602_130000.jpg 20210604_172441.jpg

Last edited: 4 Jun 2021
    wyx087 and Goatee like this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

is it just me who can't see those images?

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Look at all those fancy pants lights...

7. David

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll fix that now

9. David

See, now I don't know if it was a Doge fix or me disconnecting from whatever server NordVPN had me hooked up to.

I very nearly bought a DA2 before I got my M1, but they were out of stock. Kinda glad though.

10. MLyons

I fixed it. they were a google hosted image but I put it on the forums server instead

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Story time for anyone bored enough WFH to read it:

So a friend of mine is a serial upgrader and got a 3090 to replace his 2080ti. The 2080ti was watercooled with a full block, and so when selling it, he had the company that built his rig/does his upgrades refit the original cooler on the 2080ti.

Anyway, he sold me the 2080ti for a decent price (well, not really, but decent relative to the cost of them on ebay). When I got it, I fired up my current favourite game - Hell Let Loose - and it felt....slower than my 1080ti. Weird. Checked the clocks with GPUz and found that it was downclocking to 1100mhz which was strange - especially as it was running hot too, at past 80c. Took the card out for some physical examination and found that the cooler was missing some screws on the backplate. On top of that, 1 of the 4 sprung screws that mount the actual GPU core to the cooler was threaded - meaning very poor contact between the GPU core and the cooler. The Asus Dual OC version has a terrible cooler anyway, with no heatpipes - just a big hunk of metal and some fans - lazy design work and cost cutting by Asus for such an expensive card.

So, with the issue clear and the the stock cooler basically borked, I decided to grab a NZXT G12 for £25 and a NZXT X42 (ebay, £37). After fitting the G12 and X42 and then spending too long working out how to mount the 140mm rad alongside the 120mm that cools my CPU, I had it all in place. Fired it up and finally saw some beautiful numbers in GPUz. 1995mhz in game on the core, maxing out at 51c in game - and on top of that, an incredibly quiet rig.

So, now I have a i9 9900 8 Core CPU at 5Ghz, 32GB of RAM, and a 2080ti - all water cooled and lovely and quiet in my tiny Coolermaster NR200p. What a build!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jun 2021
    Arboreal, MLyons and wyx087 like this.
  12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Noice!

13. Arboreal

Pictures made public, or it didn't happen @Parge :winking:

BeauchN, Goatee and David like this.
  14. Parge

Forgive me, but how in gods name do I make the pics public?

15. David

Drop down option in the thumbnails

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

The Asus Dual range is a shocker across the board - I had a RX480 that was loud as hell, and that couldn't even hold the advertised frequencies when the power limit was left as standard. Good job it was cheap. Solution was an AIO, just as it was for you!

17. Arboreal

Thanks @Parge, all that watercooling glory is now in view :thumb:
    I'd put a complaint in about the quality of your 'super moderator' training course :hehe:

18. Parge

Please remember that I am "the worst supermoderator" :)

Also, that was my test fit - I tidied up all the cabling after I verified everything was working as it should.

Arboreal likes this.
  19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

A couple tangent questions on the GPU AIO if I may?
    How well does that GPU setup work for the VRM on the other side of the GPU? I see it's a single fan which covers the back of 2080Ti, but the PCB have mem modules near the top and bottom, VRM to the front.
    Any photo of your VRM+mem coolers before the G12 goes on? Did the Asus Dual OC card have any baseplates heat spreader under the main GPU heatsink? Do you think the EVGA baseplate (large pic) be compatible?

(also, update your sig ;) )

20. Parge

The CPU & GPU Radiator fans cool the rear part of the card, albeit with warm air. Not really necessary though, since the stock backplate didn't touch them when I had that installed so they clearly don't need cooling. The VRM on the card, and the memory modules on the front side sit at mostly mid 60s in game - they don't have any heatsinks etc on them. Optimum tech did a similar mod with their 2080ti and measured them all with a temp probe and temps were similar.

Basically, the VRM and memory doesn't need heatsinks or really even active cooling on the 2080ti.

You could use the EVGA base plate, but outside of aesthetics I don't think there is any real reason to do so.

wyx087 likes this.