1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kodak demos underwater flexible OLEDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm sure manufacturers of diving equipment could put the technology to good use for oxygen readouts and communication ect.

3. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

How long before we see one of those in a mod here on bit-tech? :D

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Hell yes. Digital temp display sitting inside a res.

Pretty cool tech, still whenever I see something that is kind of useless other than for the sake of making it. I always feel that effort could have been put in elsewhere.

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

That's amazing!

I didn't knew there were still playmobils arround....

OOooo, and nice display too :D

6. abbeybrooke01

abbeybrooke01 What's a Dremel?

7. dec

dec [blank space]

id like to see OLED tatoo's....and the OLED cream to remove them. In 5 years my ceiling can be my TV.....awesome

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

In 5 years I can have a swimming pool with a screen at the bottom!

9. mricks

mricks What's a Dremel?

Hi - this is Michele Ricks from Kodak's OLED Systems division. Thank you so much for the great story about our technology - we engineers just LOVE being referred to as "awesome." Kodak people have a special love for OLEDs, since our scientists invented the technology in the late 70s.

We are really excited to be working on flexible OLED tecnhology. We can envision a future with so many unique applications. One of the key challenges to bringing flexible OLEDs to the market is encapsulation, to prevent moisture damage. Kodak's OLED R&D team is developing new encapsulation technology to work with flexible OLED's. While we are not specifically investigating or targeting any underwater applications at this time, the team thought it would be interesting (and fun) to conduct our "Fish Tank" test.

Oh, and before I forget - these displays are capable of many colors and even full-color video. This was just an early effort and green is relatively simple to make :) Stay tuned for more developments at www.kodak.com/go/display and http://michelericks.pluggedin.kodak.com/rss.asp?id=DC7F07BA-A91E-408A-B9C3-CF63CC4D865C.

Tags: Add Tags