1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop worth salvaging?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Squadexodus, 26 Jun 2008.

1. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 1105 sitting around and it dosent work. However, Im pretty sure that ive determined the cpu is faulty. The laptop makes a strange, small whining sound when i hit the power button. Nothing starts up at all. But when i took the processor out, the fan and the cd drive started up. If its not the cpu, let me know.
    But what i really want to know is if buying a $100+ processor is worth it, or should i see if i can get a new laptop?

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Everytime Ive had a whining sound coming from a computer it ended up being the hard drive in it was going bad or was bad. so you might want to check that before you decide.

3. Squadexodus

Well, if i could get it to start, that might be the problem. However, its really high pitched, almost like the mosquitoe frequency/sound. Its roughly near the fan/cpu. Also, i was fiddling around with it, and somehow the noise got incredibly loud, but the fan and the cd drive spun up.

4. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

hmm... what about the fan itself? is there anything wrong with it that you can see?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

if its not turning on then its not the fan. sounds like the cpu to me. if you can take it out and find a cheap replacement then I say go for it. who knows why it died. may of been heat or a defect or a combo of both. or something else. thats why I would get a cheap (ie used) cpu before you get something decent.
    but if it wont turn on with the cpu in and it will with the cpu out, thats pretty cut and dry to me.

6. Squadexodus

Well unfortunately, the cheapest cpu is 130 bucks, so its all or nothing.

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If its a very high frequency it may be the power regulation circuitry on the motherboard emitting the noise, a CPU doesn't normally emit that kind of sound.. What are the rest of the specs?

8. Squadexodus

Specs are:
    Celeron 1.13GHZ
    256 Ram
    40GB hard drive
    XP home

After more tinkering, I found out it is the motherboard its self eminating the noise, not the cpu. Theres 4 little boxes next to the cooling fan that i think are making the noise. However, when i took the cpu out, it still spun up more than with the cpu. If its the motherboard, theres no reason to salvage, as those go for 300 bucks...
    I was sitting there thinking, 'Wait, Im pretty sure CPUs have no capacity to make whining sounds...'

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yea, that's true, CPU's don't make noises.

And those boxes are the power regulation components, unfortunately. Propably they're dying.

Why didn't it make the noise with no CPU then? Because they have no load if there's no CPU.

10. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Check the capacitors...I had this with an old mobo a while back and all the caps had leaked.

11. Squadexodus

Well, its just turned off one day and didnt start back up.
    Why is the cpu telling the things not to start up?
    And another question is, Is this a cheap fix? Or am i going to have to buy another motherboard?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2008
  12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Most likely a new motherboard, unless you are good with a soldering iron, you could try replacing them. Little black boxes with 2/3 leads? If so they are mosfets, they blew on my brothers motherboard. You would have to find similar ones though, should have the model number written on them.

13. Squadexodus

Well, the new motherboard is 300 bucks, so its not looking good.
    The mofsets have different numbers on them, and i cant see the sauter points.
    The boxes are labeled on the motherboard though, pl9, pl7 ,pt1, and pl4

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The motherboard just says its pl number 4, pl being whatever component it is.
    If you Google the numbers you may come up with what you need. If you can't see the solder points they may be BGA which means the solder joints are under the chip. I am assuming the CPU is a 479 chip? You may be best off selling the bits or building a mini system with a more standard motherboard. Just had a quick look, doesn't look like there are any 479 motherboards for much less than $300.

15. Squadexodus

Yeah, its looking like a new laptop for me. Im pretty sure the EEE pc is better than the old one.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Celeron 1.13ghz? That must be a Tualatin chip, yes?

If so, I *may* have one that was pulled from a (other than the screen) working laptop. It's a fairly big chip yep?

You could have it for the cost of shipping from UK to US.

17. Squadexodus

Sure
    It might take me a bit to get the funds together, As i procrastinate when it comes to depositing money into the bank. lemme take a look at the chip.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The chip I've got is a Celeron 1200/256/100/1.475 SL5XS.