1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leap Motion demos Windows 8 compatibility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Looks good. I have no trouble embracing new technology. The real benchmark however is whether you can do tasks easier with it or with mouse.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or if you can work without having your hand resting on a desk, im thinking peoples arms will get tired pretty quick even if you rest your elbow on the desk.
    Also from the video it looks like a mouse cursor shows up a few times, does than mean its using a type of mouse input ?

4. Stanley Tweedle

I think the people who can't move their arms around without getting tired either have muscle apathy or other medical conditions. It's not something you need to be using all the time but for particular applications it should be fine. I had the awful SR1 racing wheel for 2 days before it died and I found I had absolutely no issues holding the wheel up to drive. I returned it for a refund after it stopped working 2 days after purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5bSzVByLjM

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm looking forward to a time when for a task which is mostly typing (Writing & coding being my main two) I can keep my hands in the 'home' position 100% of the time and still have control over the app I'm using without having to resort to playing 'shortcut twister' with my keyboard.

I want is a device that has the ability to recognise when my fingers lift up an inch from the keyboard and are finely tuned enough to pick up and identify gestures.

And 3D gestures, not just those 2D gestures we use on our tablets and trackpads.

Leap motion could be that device.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I've been watching this for quite a while now, planning to get one later in the year, assuming the consensus from reviews is that the previews were accurate. It does look like a very nice way to interact with the OS, and I can think of a lot of uses for it, especially as I edit a lot of photos.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have to admit, I'm tempted to pick one up myself. At first, the decision was easy: it didn't support Linux, so I didn't want it (and couldn't use it even if I did.) Trouble is, with all the delays its had, Leap Motion has been able to get Linux support up and running - so now I'm resisting splashing out money I don't really have on yet another gadget I don't need by willpower alone.

That doesn't usually end well, as the Xperia Tablet Z sitting to my right will attest.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Holding a steering wheel close to you body is a lot different from having just one arm extended away from your body, to prevent eye strain its advised to have your monitor around 40-45 inch's away. so you either live with eye strain or arm strain.

9. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Do want!...But i have know idea why, id say the price is spot on!

10. enciem

enciem Minimodder

40-45 inches away? Can you see your screen from back there. Think it's more like 20" dude

11. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

pre ordered, cant wait!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well the United States Labor Dept says "Generally, the preferred viewing distance is between 20 and 40 inches"
    And all other research (warning PDF) points to the optimal viewing distance to be 40" as that is the average persons point of vergence.

13. Stanley Tweedle

I'm now going to wave my arms around randomly for 30 mins and see how I feel. If I like how it feels I will buy one.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Good job you don't control leap by waving your arms around randomly then isn't it :)