1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU LGA 2017-A Rumours?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 21 Jul 2015.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi All,

I'm contemplating an upgrade and heading into socket 2011 territory. The trouble is that Skylake-E should come out next year and it would be ideal to future proof towards this.

I stumbled across these articles below talking about the extra pins on the ASUS X99 WS board, and suggesting that this will make it compatible with Skylake-E. I haven't found confirmation anywhere else however.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-X99-E-WS-Motherboard-Runs-Both-Core-and-Xeon-CPUs-Outfitted-with-115-200-CUDA-Cores-457954.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Skylake-CPUs-Will-Debut-in-July-2015-LGA-2017-A-Socket-Already-Out-458610.shtml

What do you think - does it sound plausible that today's XEON-supporting boards like this could support Skylake-E in the future? I don't want to buy into a dead socket ...

2. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I am exactly in the same boat. The delay to Canonlake suggests that Skylake (and Skylake-E) will be the last significant jump in performance for a long while.

Personally I think that given Skylake will get a new socket, I would be very surprised if Skylake-E doesn't as well. Even if they maintain LGA2011, I doubt it will be compatible (Haswell-E can't run on X79 for example).

So, like me, we need to sit tight and ignore the itch for a tiny bit longer.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

There is no Skylake-E next year, unless you count Q3/Q4/2016 with limited availability in very late 2016 as "next year". Broadwell-E is Q1/2016. But most likely Skylake-E will be Q1/2017. I don't see how could they release Skylake-E just half a year after Broadwell-E.

And no, the "extra pins" are not for Skylake-E. Hell, probably even Intel still doesn't know the exact pinout of Skylake-E.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The performance increase between the last 4 generations has been absolutely pathetic. I can't even think of a reason to upgrade between SB/IB/HW/DC at all. In fact, for gamers who overclock, the last 3 gens have been arguably worse due to the use of poor quality thermal paste instead of solder.

I can't see any of that changing for Skylake in all honesty. I'm expecting 10% improvement at most.

5. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I was under the impression Broadwell-E was going to be skipped. After all the skipped Broadwell desktop CPUs right?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

6. roosauce

Thanks guys. Not sure I can manage to avoid the itch much longer ... I might need to simply settle on a 2011-3 board!

7. faugusztin

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Those articles are out of date: The 'extra pins' touch extra lands on existing Haswell-E chips. Asus uses them for supposedly improving overclocking performance. Softpedia's claims the extra pins are needed to support 'Xeons' or 18-core chips are utterly completely 100% false. The extra lands are meant debugging chips, not exposing extra functionality.

Broadwell-E will use the X99 chipset, and this LGA2011-3. The only information on Skylake-E is from leaked roadmaps, but I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of change that it will use a new socket in addition to a new chipset.

9. roosauce

Gotcha - thanks. I guess that's why I couldn't verify it, although there were piles of people referencing the article!

I've just hit confirm on Scan for a nice 2011-3 board with U.2 & future-proof USB bits & pieces, and of course a Haswell-E CPU & some DDR4. Here's hoping I've done the right thing ... but then shiny new hardware is never wrong is it? (he says, preaching to the converted ... and worrying about how to receive/install/hide boxes while the wife is out ... :worried:)

That will do it .. until I put my GPUs under water :duh:

10. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Didn't realise that. Thanks for pointing. But, are they going to release some K versions of that, or that's it? If they release Skylake in a couple of weeks would that mean that's it for Broadwell (which is barely 6 months old).

11. faugusztin

Those are the only Broadwell desktop CPU's. They were the only ones announced in LGA form, no other Broadwell CPU.

C series CPU are technically K with Iris Pro.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think C replaced K as the unlocked denotation.

13. faugusztin

C did not replace K. C is K+Iris pro. i5-6600K and i7-6700K are going to be K.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The 'C' is for 'Crystalwell' (the on-package eDRAM the all-up Iris Pro uses). They also happen to be unlocked and would occupy the 'K' position if Broadwell had a full release range, but it does not.
    The next 'K' series chips will be in the Skylake line.