1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks macbook turning itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by udjamaflip, 4 Nov 2006.

1. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

I have a fairly large problem in that I am currently in Madrid on a year placement. However my macbook i bought before i came out has recently started turning off. Its not directly linked to high times of processing and/or graphics usage. It will then continue to not re-turn on for a while untill i have left it.

I mentioned being in madrid because i bought this laptop in the UK, i am unsure as to wether there is apple shops over here i can get it fixed in as its only just into its 4th month of warranty.

I'm considering getting a refund rather than a replacement/repair but does anyone know if this is a possibility after 3 months. I'm quite sure there is something to do with 'statuory rights' which entitles me to a refund or a replacement product to equal or greater value.

When i rang the uk mac line they said they dont do refunds on faulty products unless it has been repaired/replaced 3 or more times. But i'm quite sure they cant deny me a refund?

Bit of a rant but if anyone can help me regarding either of the issues that would be great...

[edit] There is no signs of overheating upon feeling around the laptop [/edit]

Last edited: 4 Nov 2006
  2. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

This sounds like Random Shutdown Syndrome which has been affecting a number of MacBooks. Apple have released a firmware update (version 1.1) which claims to fix the issue.

"The SMC Update improves the MacBook’s internal monitoring system and addresses issues with unexpected shutdowns. This update is recommended for all MacBook systems, including those that received warranty repair."

Run Software Update and make sure you're fully up to date, or download the update from:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbooksmcfirmwareupdate11.html

3. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

That seems to have done the trick will revive the post if it crops up further. Nice one Solar.