1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Makeover for rental apartment

Discussion in 'General' started by drakmin, 7 Dec 2010.

1. drakmin

drakmin I don't use Dremel.

Hi!

I rented a renovated 1920's apartment with my girlfriend. I like the house but new materials used are dull and too clean. I have somewhat limited budget but I wan't to share my ideas how to furnish a home.

Size of the apartment is a bit below 70m2. Things we need there are obviously somewhere to sleep and eat. Entertainment area for watching movies and a dedicated computer desk. I have some audio requirements for the computer area as I compose electronic music.

Plan for reference:
    [​IMG]

Empty apartment:
    [​IMG]

This was the first plan for the living room. It changed a lot after I got more precise dimensions of the aparment.
    [​IMG]

This second plan is a lot closer to what's about to be built. It has a steel cage to separate movie spot from rest of the living room. I'll build a plywood wall where tv will be attached.
    [​IMG]

-----------building starts----------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plywood wall is about 180cm wide and 110cm high. Tv is a 52" Sony v5500 and speakers will be moved to my music making spot. Definitely not to be left on floor :D More photos tomorrow, I have tons of them.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Love it - more pics needed ;-)

3. drakmin

Mighty tools:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First sketch of entry. I think metal grid could be used to hang clothes.

[​IMG]

About 30 meters of wood to start with:
    [​IMG]

First "shoe bench":
    [​IMG]

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

House modding, gotta love it! :dremel:

5. drakmin

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran out of wood once and had to get more using bus since I don't own a car :D First set of wood was transported using friends car.

Some space for jackets:
    [​IMG]

At this point I got an idea for shoe shelf and here's the result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still missing the jacket holder though. I think I'll leave the green neons for "party use" and normally a motion detector will light up warm white spots.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Err, I think I speak for everyone when I say that is AWESOME!

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

looks tits

are you going to paint that bare wood green like in the model? Black would look good too since you have the green light.

8. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Don't get me wrong I think that what you've done is pretty awesome - but it looks to me like I would feel a bit enclosed and claustrophobic as I walked through the front door.

If the beams weren't above your head and only going up the walls it would be less so. The first thing I would want to experience as I walked through the front door of my home is a feeling of space, whereas what you've done would make me feel the opposite.

9. drakmin

I see your point Hyder! The hallway is 180cm wide and aroun 5 meters long so it was o must to divide it in order not to have a "pipe". Also the hallway was so spacious and gloomy I thought it might stand some strong modifications.

It's hard to capture the feel of space with camera even though I consider myself okay photographer. Now when I look the photos after your comments and go experiencing the hallway with my eyes they tell a bit different story. Reality looks better in this case!

I'll try to get better photos maybe with a scale human ;D Also I'll try taking the photos in daylight (those are taken at night) which might help with the photos. Thanks for all comments so far!

The Beast:

Cage in living room is 50x50mm steel, that might get painted. Hallway cage will be left wooden to add some warmth in opposite to the metal grids.

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

holy crap that looks amazing, what software are you using to do that? I've been collecting images like that for awhile now and would love to learn, Maya 3D? i'm guessing!?

and your flat looks freaking amazing!

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Sweet work dude, but I've gotta say it, you've got way to many shoes for a bloke :eyebrow:

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Durr, I see it isn't colored in the model

You're right it does add some balance to the room

13. drakmin

3dstudio + mental ray for rendering

14. drakmin

More photos. Next to be built is the computer desk so don't look at it yet ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Very nice, but I have 2 very important questions.

1. What kind of music do you make?

2. Please say you are going to route that TV cable up and over the framework?

17. drakmin

Cookie Monster; Here's a link to some of my music, thanks for asking!

[​IMG]

Two song at youtube if you don't like high quality bandcamp ;D

I'm not sure yet about routing the cable through the cage. I might get a larger diameter hose where to put all cables. I wan't a bit rough and informal feel, not overly clinical or planned. One option is to leave the cables in some hose and just attach it to loosely follow the cage. It might look bad when everything else is finished and maybe the cables end up inside the cage tubes. We'll see!

MiNiMaL_FuSS: Thanks for the url! Though I try to create my own ideas but it's always great to see what other people have done.

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

As long as you don't leave it on the floor I'm happy, what about using some of the mesh and making a cable tray then bolting it to the side of the framework?

Oooooof, bit to trance for me. I'm hoping to start learning Ableton in the new year then I can look at making a house track. Nice from 1min though then that bass kick goes.

19. drakmin

Trying to decide between plywood and metal for the desk under the keyboard and mouse. I think I'll go for the asymmetric design otherwise. Note the kitchen wall covered in acoustic foam trying to reduce echo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

murraynt likes this.
  20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

central metal design gets my vote.

Do you make a living from your music or is it more for person satisfaction? Intrusive question I know but I'm genuinely interested.