1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor mATX advice please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MightyBenihana, 8 Sep 2011.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Hi all,

I have been lurking around these parts for years and consider myself to be reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to knocking together a new PC. This time around however I need to build a SFF system as I want to take it on a plane as carry on luggage.
    I am British, but I live in Brazil and the price of electronics here would make you cry.

In terms of the case, I had all but decided on the Lian Li V354B, but having read the recent review on BT of the SilverStone TJ08B-E indecision has reared it ugly head again.

I had planned on using a Corsair H60 with the V354 but it appears that I could fit a Dark rock cooler in the SilverStone, thus reducing the cost by a bit more again.

The rest of the build will include:

Asus Gene-Z MB
    2500k CPU
    GTX 570 TFiii (unless we all get a big surprise and some new cards are released by Novemeber)
    1 TB Samsung F3 HD
    128GB M4 ssd
    Corsair AX650 PSU
    Corsair 8GB (2x4) low profile vengeance ram (does this work in the Gene-Z as it is not on the PVL)
    Asus Xoner DS 7.1 soundcard
    Logitech S220 2.1 speakers
    Dell 2412m Monitor

(Any recommendations on the above are more than welcome)

I would really appreciate any help/recommendations about mATX/SFF cases from those that are familiar with them and also if anyone who has tried recently to take a desktop on a plane, if you could share that experience I would be very thankful.

Thanks to everyone who helps, I hope you can calm my nerves in regards to the plane trip and bring some reason to my indecisive mind.

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

That all seems good, except for the Xonar DS - it's a PCI card but the Gene-Z does not have any PCI slot. You will need a PCIe card such as the Xonar DX or D2X. Another issue that may crop up with a sound card is that on an mATX motherboard it will block a lot of airflow to the graphics card, so you might want to forego it completely and use the on-board audio.

As for case recommendations, I have the Silverstone FT03. It's advantage over other mATX cases is that it takes up less floor area due to its orientation - it's taller than it is wide or deep. You might find that to be an advantage for when you take it on a plane.

3. MightyBenihana

Thanks, missed that one - one little headache avoided. I'll have a browse at the alternatives.

4. MightyBenihana

Thanks, missed that one - one little headache avoided. I'll have a browse at the alternatives.

Tags: