1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Messin with molexes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stwongbad, 30 Jun 2006.

1. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Not really a mod but still a diaster but the story is

Im on my computer when my blue side panel fan begins to flicker so i undo the side panel and look at the molex and see that its conected fine but one of the pins is falling out so...me being the tired dumb-butt i just...push it back in? and button it up. so a couple minutes later it starts again and i open it up in that pissed sleepy mood and rip out the molex......bad move :wallbash: :duh:

Entire computer pzowns itself try unplugging everything/plugging it back and after a minute of staring at the computer thinking "I am sooo skrewed" I hear what sounds like a discharge so i plug in the computer and everything is fine....except a couple years of my life scared out of me

2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

ive done that before... shorted it out... computer turned off and it wouldnt turn back on... i was crapping myself thinking i have just blown a few hundred quid computer up.. but luckly it turned back on a few mins later...

3. Stwongbad

yep! exact same thing i swear i dont know what i would have done if it never turned back on...

4. Al Terego

Al Terego What's a Dremel?

I also did that..gawd..I swear my heart stopped for a few seconds.

5. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

lol, yeh, its ok when it swtiches off, you kninda think "i was expecting that" its just when you ht the power button and nothing happens, or you hit the button and the fans spin for like half a second. Thats when your heart skips a beat. Not so much on older systems, but when youve just spent £1500 on a brand new box, you really do need to visit the toilet afterwards...

dragon2309

6. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

Also had this happen to me, a loose molex grounded against the case and sparked. I was thinking bad, bad, bad, bad, bad but luckaly the computer turn on after a couple tries.

7. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

Same has happened to me many times too.
    You just need to shut your PSU for a few minutes and try again after that.
    Usually its enough if the LED(s) in the motherboard shut down.

8. Stwongbad

well....not everyone has LEDs in their motherboard.....

9. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

The pop sound is the self reseting circuit breaker. When I first had my computer my cousin shortened every fan wire or lenghtened it he shorted one. The thing kept shutting down. I found the short fixed it.

10. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

Talking about shorting wires now, it was only 5v (inside the network switch ive been talking about in the electronics forum), the fan died in it so i had it all open, found a normal 12v fan and hooked it up, because it was a cut & shut job with the wires some bare metal was still showing, as i put the fan down the wires relaxed and fell onto the casing of the switch, not a good thing, a few sparks, it shut off and the + and - wires fused together lol, fan and switch still work perfectly though

Another thing happened in that switch aswell, when i was fiddling about my little finger accidentally touched the big yellow block in the PSU, all i can say is i thik that yellow block is BEFORE the step down to 5v, lol, arm was pounding for about 30mins, then it ached like hell for about a week, lol. havent touched that part since, lol....

dragon2309