1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft adds anti-piracy terms to EULA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Aug 2015.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes they had to bring in the browser choice screen but wasn't that some 5 or more years after the initial case was brought against them, even then they dropped it by "accident" a year or so later when SP1 was released, only to get finned £500m odd for doing so, not bad for a company that has profits running into the tens of billions, and that ruling only lasted up to 2014 so they're now free to carry on as normal.

Indeed they should, but the EULA is written in such a way that it seems to be overreaching the bounds of what's acceptable, saying we may need to stop providing access to "Third-Party Apps and Services" and blocking counterfeit games (note:Not just Microsoft counterfeit games) does seem to be over stepping the bounds of protecting their own software, does it not?

Well yes they are, Windows defender is (afaik) scanning entire hard disks, and depending on what definition you want to use for "software" it could also be argued that it scans for a lot more than just software.

Can we be sure they're not? The privacy statement does say this after all "We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use."

Those relevant companies would be the water, gas, and electric companies, not the letting agent would they not? Sure if the letting agent sees something dodgy they may report it, but ultimately it's the responsibility of those companies to take action.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Microsoft can include what ever they heck they want, media players, internet browsers, call home to servers to report on your machine useage, browser history, film watching history, game useage, provide in built zip applications Skype, have deactive options for software not approved etc.

but...

They also have to provide during installation the option to have one or all features not only disabled but not even installed.

Any thing else is bordering on 1984 type situation.

Why doesn't Microsoft included in the EULA , your windows 10 machine has to be on at all times Tannoying approved political messages.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Another reason not to upgrade. I had high hopes for Windows 10 but all the privacy issues have put me completely off. I know you can turn most of them off, or so you're hoping, but it a step in the wrong direct for me.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I wonder if the forced updates/unauthorised software is to do with the apps store/xbox store etc since I can't see programs installed outside of that being checked for versions/updates/cracks.

Also, doesn't Origin do something similar wrt scanning everything?

5. AiA

AiA Minimodder

and it begins .....

on other note I can see alot of false alarms,problems happening, thats probably not going to be good for the average pc user.

6. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

My understanding of this clause, is to target malware and vulnerable software... Alot of pirated software usualy contains viruses, as a result infects the machine, contributes to the global botnet issue, and tarnishes the name of windows, asit has for a decade.

How it actually goes about doing this will be interrsting. Disabling legitimately purchased software would be damaging to some businesses, but prompt warning and grace period indicating the need to update before disabling would be good for the internet and business security and force software companies to be responsible for fixing there vulnerabilities. The downside would be where some application updates have in turn diacontinued a feature, or hardware compatability only availible in a former version.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Forced updates are already in Windows 10, whether they'll be used to disable unauthorised software/hardware is another matter, probably they won't at first as Microsoft would face a s**t storm if they suddenly stopped people from using other VoIP software or other game controllers.

I think it's possible they may go after the low hanging fruit first, such as blocking some dodgy lesser know peripheral that causes stability issues, or some software that lives on the edge of being legal or illegal.

The problem is no one can know for sure until it happens, if it ever does happen, that's what happens when you have such an ambiguous Service Agreement that attempts to cover 82 different service.

8. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I'm not fused if MS or Google know my every move. I live a fairly legal life and I'm sure Google could prosecute me for driving at 40mph in a 30 zone everyday at 4:30am on my way to work, but I'm sure they won't.

I'm not in to pirated software, most programs are now free. Google docs for one! It works perfectly well for what I want and need it to do.

The only thing I don't get for free is a good DTP, but I purchased Publisher many years ago and it works for what I use and need it for.

Yes I worry MS might turn around and give false positives but then I think about what I have installed on my PC/Laptops/Tablets.

Pretty much nothing!
    Chrome (FREE)
    Office 2010 (paid for)
    Paint.net (FREE)
    VLC (FREE)
    emby (FREE)
    VM Player (FREE)
    DuOS (Paid)
    Foxit Reader (FREE)
    Dropbox (FREE)
    Google Drive (FREE)
    Google Docs (part of Chrome) (FREE)

So most software is free or the small selection I have paid for? What was the cost of Office 2010? I have no idea what I paid for it, the previous version I paid for was 2003 and the one before that 1997. Do I feel the need to upgrade me Office Suite? No, why can't see much of a difference between 2010 and 2013, there was only a small jump in terms of features between 2003 and 2010! Most of which I don't need or want.

So sodd it, if they want to scan my PC for illegal files and software, feel free! I gone to (mainly) free software.

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Analysts claim Windows 10 sends identifiable information to tech giant EVEN when told not to

-Ars Technica claims Windows 10 sends identifiable data to Microsoft
    -This happened when they activated privacy protection settings
    -Information seemed to be transmitted when OneDrive was disabled too
    -Privacy campaigners have called Windows 10 'bad news for privacy'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...iable-information-tech-giant-told-not-to.html

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

A dystopia future Microsoft. :D

Due to problems caused by the latest Chrome internet browser (v144) Microsoft have taken the decision to protect our users by preventing them from running the Chrome internet browser.

Your version of Office 2050 has now reach end of life and for your protection we have uninstalled this software for you, if you want access to your documents we suggest Office 365.

Microsoft have noticed some of our users are bypassing Windows DRM by using the VLC media player to watch pirated media, as this is illegal we have taken steps to block the use of VLC until such a time they adhere to Microsoft's DRM policy.

:worried: ;)

11. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

This is the thing, when that happens, or if that happens then it will be good bye Windows from all my machines and hello to Chrome OS or Linux distribution. That is of course MS haven't bootlocked other operating systems from installing in Windows 10.123456789 lol

There is a point that it will be come ridiculous. You are right in saying that they could well stop VLC from working as it can bypass the DRM on files and be used to watch illegal videos, but you could say that about any media player, there is nothing from stopping me downloading a torrent and watching the latest episode of whatever is on. (altho the legal issues on this can be very bent and torrenting TV programs is not entirely illegal and the law does allow you to watched recorded program by someone else)

You could say that they could go as far as saying 'The YouTube clip you are trying to watch is illegal and therefore we will be disabled your video output driver'

You Sir do have a point. As for them knowing what I do and where I go etc... I don't see the issue, but perhaps not being allowed to install Chrome or other opensource software as MS may deem it unsafe or insecure or problematic, then it does raise a question to how far they will go. But if they overstep the mark (which I assume people are thinking they already have) then don't use Windows, go else wear for OS and Software, there are plenty out there that do a damn good job.

Why do I use Windows? Um... good question, most likely is that I'm used to it. If I had to change because MS locked down it's OS to only certain apps etc... then I would, I mean look how good Windows RT did!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Come the revolution those torrent clients will be the first against the wall, everyone knows they're only ever used to get hold of dodgy software, or even worse one of those free Linux things.

Besides why would you want to download hooky TV programs when you can sign up for MSTV, it only costs £500 pcm (accounting for inflation) if you want the add free version, Microsoft recommends it because their telemetry shows you spend much more time on the throne than other people. :eeek: :hehe:

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

So? Any software which is not Microsoft software on my machine is none of Microsoft's business - they sure as hell don't have the moral right to shut it down if the decide they don't like it, not if it isn't directly affecting them, (like for example a spam-bot). And as has already been said, their EULA doesn't just cover illegal or pirated software, it covers whatever they determine it covers - including hardware.

Seriously? Nothing on my PC is of any use to me without using it through Windows - unless I change operating system my PC is just a glorified paperweight. Are you suggesting they have the moral right to analyse my online banking or read my private letters and spreadsheets, because I access them all through Windows? Is that the point you're making?

You quite sure about that?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Seems to me they're rapaciously collecting and analysing just about everything they can physically get their hands on, including emails, photos, voice transcripts, videos and basically all file content, and are then happily using it both business-wide across their own company and selling information on to third parties - and not just selling it in aggregated, anonymised form, but in individual, target-specific form. And that's the Microsoft website I'm linking to there by the way, not some happy-clappy, tinfoil-hat wearing blog.

You'll have to excuse me for being a little unhappy with that idea.

I expect the water people to check the water, the gas people to check the gas, the electric people to check the electric etc, etc.

What I don't expect is for the gas company to access my bank account to check that I've paid my council tax - it's simply not their concern and none of their business.

And who declares it unauthorised? Governments in certain situations, sure, but are you telling me you don't believe they will ever declare anything unauthorised themselves? The point is that they are declaring that they have the power.

No, it's not irrelevant. It clearly wasn't my main point but an addendum which simply highlighted:

- a, The sheer scale of what they are doing, and
    - b, The number of sovereign countries, states and territories whose local laws or established norms Microsoft are utterly disregarding.

Look, I know I've just tackled all that point-by-point, I'm not trying to cross-examine you or anything, (honest :D) I'm just trying to put myself across clearly.

It just frustrates me when peoples privacy and rights are gradually taken away, and so many people seem to just shrug their shoulders and say: "so?".

Maybe it's an age thing, (I know a lot of younger people happily, permanently post their entire lives onto Twitter and Facebook without a care in the world) but I just can't understand the ambivalence some people have, or the "well I'm sure big brother knows what's best for me" mentality. I just don't understand it. I don't care if Microsoft believe they have good intentions or not, (and I don't believe they do) the point is that they don't have the right.

I was looking forward to Windows 10 I really was, but I'm holding fire at the moment. I've used Windows almost exclusively since 3, but for the first time in over 20 years I'm genuinely considering other options now, perhaps even dual systems: Some kind of Linux set-up on a laptop and Windows 10 on a PC - and then making strategic decisions about what I use each one for.

Again, it's got nothing to do with wanting to be illegal, it's just about the insidious creep of surveillance lurking over our shoulders when actually I think we're entitled to some privacy.

Sorry for the crude analogy forthcoming: I'm not doing anything illegal when I take a sh*t, but I still close the bathroom door.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
    Corky42 likes this.
  14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I find it alarming how readily many people seem to accept this and other privacy issues as perfectly ok.

I am the only on of my 3 other main gaming friends who have not updated to windows 10 and have just been made a black sheep in the discussion about the privacy issues.

They say I'm the odd one out and that if I am not doing anything illegal then I have nothing to worry about. I find it odd and concerning they are so readily accepting of it and don't see the wider principle here.

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

ask your self this,

why didn't M$ during the most intense period in record history of people raising concerns about privacy issue and there be serious legitimate concerns about said topic.

Why did Microsoft go the other way, the anti public feeling way and produce a rich good feeling piece of software that empowered each member of society, be they good , bad or indifferent.

Why doesn't every Windows 10 client PROMISE to up hold your rights to freedom choice privacy and anonymity?

Windows 10 can ship with as much surveillance and monitoring data gathering tools as it likes,. but

Unless Windows 10 ships with an ability to install with ZERO intrusion into peoples human rights, choice and ability's to decern for them self's what they do or don't want to do with their computers.

This is basically an illegal piece of software.

There is a very clear line, in which universe do you believe it is acceptable for the OS to monitor what you do and make actions against your will choice will or want.

Windows 10 is basically a remote node to the M$ network which you have limited control or access to.

Zero chance for this to be installed , the only reason I will use it is to support it.

outrageous behaviour by Microsoft

Edit: This is not the computing future that people have worked tirelessly for, for 30 years to see this.

Microsoft if you are reading this, go and pick up a computer dictionary and look up the term PC.

It means PERSONAL COMPUTER. it means my stuff is not yours.

You have got hugely confused about your place in market, peoples lives and your own place in modern day computing.

You do not decide what peoples choices are you, you follow our instructions and enable.

This software is not enablement it is confinement, restraint and is based on fear control and oppression.
    AND... is one step towards what?

GTFO, Absolutely outrageous.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
  16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quite simply because most people don't care what private companies do with their data. Up holding privacy of the user is less profitable than not. It seems Microsoft are nickel and diming their customers in order to increase or at the least retain profits in the face of trying to convert users to their new business model.

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I said it right at the start and I'll say it again, I have read nothing here to convince that these claims of Microsoft's invasive intentions are anything more than claims of potential wrong doing and wild accusations that sound more like conspiracy theories.

People have been concerned about their 'privacy' ever seen rumour mongers hung around on street corners and sold information in cheap taverns. 1984 as a year has long since passed and we are no closer to the Orwellian future described in the book which carries that as a title and written about these very concerns over 65 years ago and approximately 35 years before Microsoft even existed. Although I am sure some will make that connection as a conspiracy rather than the coincidence it really is.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you used the word "potential" No one (at least not many) people are saying that Microsoft are using the data they gather for wrong doings or nefarious reasons, but the potential is there.

In the end it comes down to trust, while you may trust your partner not to go through your private belongings or not upload those saucy pictures of you to the internet, the potential is there for them to do exactly that because you granted them access to your private life.

The question you have to ask is would you offer that same level of trust to a total stranger?
    Would a total stranger potentially be more or less likely to care about what happens to those saucy picks of you, to go digging through your draws if you left them in your house alone.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

From wincentral
    Anyone know if that's accurate?

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No it's not. (imo)

1. The Windows 10 EULA contains the terms from the Microsoft service agreement & privacy statement.

2. As Gareth already mentioned while the MSA doesn't specifically list Windows in the services covered section it does list many services that are bundled with Windows such as Cortana, OneDrive, Skype, and the Default Homepage and New Tab Page on Microsoft Edge. INAL but I would assume that as a version of Windows 10 isn't available without those bundled services that it would be very unlikely that you could argue that you didn't accept the terms contained within the MSA when you installed Windows 10.

3. As Windows 10 is going to be rolled out to the Xbox soon I would assume there's not going to be a distinction between Windows 10 on the Xbox One, PC, Surface, or Windows Phone.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2015