1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft apologises over Windows 8 browser ballot gaffe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

It's MS, they never stop trying to dominate, "We'll try our luck and hope no one notices" same old, same old, same old :yawn:

3. Andune

Andune What's a Dremel?

"something never levelled at Apple and its bundling of the Safari browser with its OS X operating system, oddly"

Because OS X / Safari had 5% / 4% of the market in 2009 when the BrowserChoice was introduced and still only have 7% / 4% today? Hard to accuse someone of monopolistic practices when they don't even have 10% of the market...

Still, this whole thing is stupid, IE no longer has over 75% market share and It's not that hard to install an alternative browser, most people use google and just look how much they push Chrome as an alternative.

4. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

If Windows RT really takes off, I'd like to know if the EU is going to do the same thing for Office RT, since alternatives as LibreOffice can't be fully ported to Windows RT as they are (because it's a locked down OS).

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

You mean they want to dominate their field, just like every single other company in existence would like to dominate their field? Not saying MS should be allowed to without some checks and balances, but just because they've been successful it doesn't mean their corporate morals are any different to anyone else's.

Gareth's point about Apple is a valid one: If a rule is good enough to apply to one company then it should be good enough to apply to all.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Article 9 actually deals with anticompetitive, not monopolistic, behaviours. It doesn't matter what your market share is for Article 9. If Microsoft isn't allowed to 'force' its browser on people, nor should Apple. Just sayin'.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What troubles me with this is that Microsoft are not forcing anyone to use IE by including it with Windows. They are simply supplying a solution for those too lazy to look elsewhere.

It's a bit like how car manufacturers give you a set of tyres to start you off. You can choose to fit a different set if you wish, or you can replace them with the same brand. Why should car company X insist that you drive away on Michelin rubber when you 'd be better served by Bridgestone?

8. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Yet Office on Windows RT is a case of forcing Software on consumers, but no one (not even EU) complains about it.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No public complaint yet doesn't mean there is none targeted at Apple and/or MS.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Actually, to push the analogy, they give you Michelin but you can have Bridgestone for free instead; if you're willing to source them yourself. Article 9 prevents them from supplying dodgy wheels that make it difficult to fit Bridgestones. :thumb:

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Can you download an IE browser on Chromebook or on a google handset?

12. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

Yes, but the problem arises when IE reasserts itself as the default browser (without asking) whenever a Windows Update includes an IE update. Not a problem for the likes of you and I, but something my grandma wouldn't notice except for the sudden disappearance of her bookmarks.

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why is it a problem if IE is the default browser anyway. Its previous version has been acclaimed as one of the best browers available today.

14. Shirty

Article 9 is indeed essential, but have MS ever shown any signs of preventing the installation of other browsers? (I genuinely don't know.)

That's a despicable practice, but not one I've ever noticed occurring on my machine - does this really happen?

15. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

mmmm really? i hateeeeeeee IE.

what did this info say why its one of the best?

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It does ask, quite persistently, if you want to make IE your default browser from time to time.

As for automagically setting IE as default - I've never seen that happen.

17. Shirty

I agree it asks that every time you open it and it's not set as the default.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

if apple had more than 10% of pc market they would be forced to offer the browser choice as it stands i bielive its below 7% at last check.

IE is still 55% which is more than the rest combined.

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I suspect a large portion of the IE market dominance is older systems. How many PCs out there still use XP? How many people have ancient installs that they're happy with because they're just not computer literate in the way this community is?

I wonder just how many people still use IE because they're not sure of the other browsers? Firefox and Chrome look similar, and IE has moved in that direction, but it might just be that they tried it, their favourite shortcut didn't work or it just didn't look right to them and immediately went back to Internet Exploder.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

MS's biggest problem is their historical baggage after the "browser wars" they'll never be trusted not to abuse their position of virtual monopoly player in the desktop marked. Apple on the other hand are still bit part players when it comes to proper computers despite what their marketing would have you believe.