1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Missing some Antec leads - compatibility advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 23 Jun 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey all,

I've recently picked up a second hand High Current Pro 750 but it didn't come with enough of the leads, specifically the 6+2 pin PCI-E GPU ones. I do have the option of using some of those Molex to PCI-E adapters (have heard these are to be avoided, but are they really THAT bad?) but I was instead wondering - will the spare leads I have from a True Power New 750 be exactly transferrable without risk to self/components? I saw online reports of people swapping leads and it ending in disaster, but think this may have been between brands, not sure of wattage.

I also sent a note to Antec but they weren't completely sure beyond "I don't understand them to be", so I don't know whether to take a chance, use the Molex adapters or just start again with a different PSU and get rid of the HCP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The High Current Range is made by SeaSonic, the True Power range by Enhance Electronics so only a slight possibility that they might work and not worth the risk.

A lot of PSU sellers don't have a clue, they just either buy direct from the manufacturer or specify their power requirements.

Don't Antec sell replacement cables?

3. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Got any photos of the leads? I might have something suitable for you, or something that just needs the correct pin outs changing :D

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You Sir, are a true gent. Much appreciated indeed. I will gather some photos tonight and post up.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Some decent research there I would never have thought to undertake (in my ignorant opinion, Antec = Antec, even though in the recesses of my limited knowledge I do now remember that there are OEMs under the branding). Thank you very much for the advice!

By the by, I did ask, but Antec said they probably don't have any spares due to the age.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While looking for PSUs made by the same OEM can work... I can't recommend it for the purpose of sourcing cables.
    PSU brands can change which OEM they buy from, the OEM can update the platform etc.

Without the original cables to compare it simply isn't worth the risk as you can easily kill connected hardware by using anything other than the original cables.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Apologies for the delay - the home schooling started to get difficult and I kept forgetting to do this. However, model info, captive leads, sockets and the modular cables I do have are:
    • Model info:
    PSU 2.jpg

• Modular leads - left one looks like an additional CPU lead ending in a fixed 8-pin, others are Molex and SATA:
    PSU 3.jpg

• Sockets, showing that extra red plug, labelled as CPU/HDD, although why you'd be hooking an 8-pin block connector to a hard drive is beyond me (the red lead above does actually fit all the red slots, but the fixed 8-pin on the end is limited in use, especially since the cards are 2 x 6-pin PCI-E):
    PSU 1.jpg
    • Captive leads, with two 6+2 PCI-E, 4+4 CPU and 20+4 ATX power:
    PSU 4.jpg
    So maybe the Molex to PCI-E adapter is the only option (in the absence of other available leads)? If so, how undesirable is this solution really?