1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mobo advice? SLi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead_man, 28 Feb 2005.

?

Which Mobo

1. DFi SLi-DR

56.3%
  2. Asus A8N deluxr

31.3%
  3. Gigabyte SLi (whatever its called)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MSI K8N neo4 platinum

12.5%
  1. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

asi v mentioned in another thread im looking at going SLi with a dual 6600GT config. iv got several in mind and i want your ppls opinions

DFi SLi-DR
    Asus A8N deluxe
    Gigabyte SLi (the expensive one?)
    or the MSI K8N Neo4 platinum SLi

looking at reviews on [H]ardOC the MSI with a 3500+ beats an ASUS A8N with a 4000+

im looking at a mixture of price vs performance vs features

and has anyone had issues with any of these motherboards

and can anyone tell me if the msi has hotswappable sata? i cant find out on the msi website

edit: :wallbash: :duh: :wallbash: :wallbash: and another :duh:
    forgot i was in gfx section. can mods plz move :thumb:

thnx dman

2. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

I asked the reverse (I was going for DFI) ... People did suggest the ASUS as there is evidently more room between the cards (though les oc'ing options)

My Question..

Don't take my word though I know nothing! :hehe:

3. T-MINUS 10

T-MINUS 10 Banned

DFI SLI-DR :rock:

4. dead_man

im more leaning towards the MSI as it has the better sound chip.

5. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

DFI has been getting a great rep recently, mainly becuase they include EVERYTHING with the mobo - and on the mobo for that matter. Havent every used one myself - but they seem to be pretty good. Personally, im more of an asus fan. If you want to overclock, asus might give you a bit more control, but again, im not completly sure. I think it basically comes down to the features that you want, and the $$ that you want to pay. But for sure - go DFI or ASUS

6. dead_man

some of the reviews iv seen actually show that the MSI with a 3500+ just beats a asus a8n with a 4000+. so in terms of this the MSI seems the better performer

7. B£AST

B£AST What's a Dremel?

I'd go for the ASUS any day, very good costomer service and market leader for mobos, they are not going to let you down. Plus as some other guy said the large space between the GCs means better more efficient cooling :D

8. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

ive heard great things about the DFI mobos.
    also, a single 6800 gt will outpreform dual 6600 gts most of the time. then when you get the money for another, you can sli those for even better preformance.

9. dead_man

can anyone tell me what voltage i can stick though the vdimm on the asus boards? im leaning towards that now and just get a normal 7.1 sound card

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not less options, just not as well-designed for overclocking. Doesn't seem to like 1T over 245HTT or something. Personally I've had no problems with mine, except when I killed the first one (don't ask). Some people have had some issues but tbh I think the problems are their own fault. I hope to take mine to around the 300HTT level but I don't know what my limiting factor would be.

IIRC the Asus's go up to 3.2v vDimm. Haven't been fiddling in my BIOS recently but it's a pretty decent level.

The SATA on the MSI would be hotswappable since it's an NF4 thing. Well technically all SATA is hotswappable (save the boot drive of course), but it acutally shows up as a removeable device in the taskbar with NF4 boards.

I also would suggest getting a single 6800gt for now rather than dual 6600gts, performance will be better and you've got a better upgrade path if/when the time comes.

The Asus's layout is definately king with two spaces for better card cooling, and the bundle is teh w1n as far as cables and crap goes. I've only used the DFI so I can't comment on it firsthand but all reviewers and users seem to like it.