1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More job cuts rumoured at Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Article updated: Microsoft has confirmed the rumour. It's cutting 7,800 additional jobs and taking a $7.6 billion hit on Nokia assets - which is $400 million more than it paid for Nokia's mobile division in the first place. Ouch.

3. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

There isn't anything wrong with nokia/windows phone 8, except developers don't want to learn 3 languages, or pay for 3 instances of the one app. I've dropped mine about 50 times, zero damages.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Also with the Win10 update, it will be able to use iOS and Android apps anyway. If I'm honest, I've had no desire to go for the shiny shiny iPhone and/or any variant of an Android phone as I've never been stumped on WP8.1 or any previous version. Not saying no one has but I do hear a lot of people moaning for one reason or anyother with iPhone changes and a few scary stories of Android apps being not the genuine apps. I'd be a little sad if we get hammered on Win10 with the same dodgy app issues.

5. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

They've also been losing money with the Xbox One due to poor initial sales and the costs of the Kinect 2 sensor. But signs suggest they're making good headway and getting some good content and new features coming.

A downturn in PC sales doesn't help them, as thats their bread and butter income, with OEMs accounting for a fair proportion of computers. With people more and more using tablets running iOS or Android rather than traditional laptops/pc desktops they have to spend money to diversify.