1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla blocks vulnerable MS plugin

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice to see Mozilla has some balls.

3. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

Lol... "We installed a plugin which the user had no control over and it got blocked for containing an exploit... boo hoo". Harden the **** up, Microsoft.

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Agree with Mankz here. Glad to see Moz do the right thing

5. dazworld

dazworld What's a Dremel?

I think Microsoft have done many good things for computer evolution and the web. However, when it comes to its browser, Internet Explorer and its approach to forcing its browser in Windows, creating its own CSS standards and being way-behind in helping web developers de-bug (bar Visual Studio) their web pages, IE has caused me soooooo much pain and I use, as standard, Firefox and Firebug and its saved my skin loads.

I trust Mozilla as a future. I don't trust IE.

6. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Nice one mozilla. It's this kind of action that prompt's MS to get their finger out and fix the issue. I'm sure MS could have a fix out by this time next week.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

anyone know whats going on with my firefox, for some reason when I type anything in the address bar and hit enter nothing at all happens, I can pull up my favorites and load those fine, I can search google to get to websites from my home page but when it comes to the address bar nothing happens? any thoughts? this is the first time I have ever had an issue with FF.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  8. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

That's if Google doesn't beat them to it. lol.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think it is great that MS did this, it will allow the EU to play whack-a-mole with their moronic corporate heads.
    I wonder if MS relaizes how close they are to being forced by the EU to do A LOT of things with MS win code that they would never do on their own.
    This is just the opening the EU wants, so keep up the good work MS!!

Yours in MS Win gone by 2020,
    Star*Dagger

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

bit late this news they now re-moved it from the block list now (from an other site i seen this news before), need to update the content

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have they? As the article says, they removed the .Net Framework Assistant plugin, but as far as I'm aware the Windows Presentation Foundation plugin is still blacklisted.

12. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

After these addons were blocked the other day I noticed an immediate speed boost.... anyone else have this?

13. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

my firefox told me it blocked this plugin right now, so it is not yet removed from their blacklist

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

got the block couple days ago too

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

should of posted they say may take some time to filter down to each firefox client (what they posted) something that the securty problem that afected IE should not affect firefox (wish i had that link)

i just installed firefox and mine is not blocked (mine is 1.1 net plugin windows 7) press the find update button and then restart firefox once it says there is no update mite turn it back on (you can then disable the plugin if you want it off as it will turn back on)

16. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Simple solution DON'T USE FIREFOX. The alledged vulnerability isn't exposed on IE, it's just firefox.

This is just another reason for businesses to remove vulnerable third party products from their networks and stick with the work horse trusted Microsoft. The ONLY player in the corporate world!

17. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The vulnerability lies in a plugin that MS created. So I fail to see your point.

As long as IE has ActiveX, I will NEVER use it as my main browser. ActiveX is one great big vulnerability.

18. crazyceo

Yes another nice anti-microsoft sweeping statement. " ActiveX is one big vulnerability" and where is your evidence for that comment?

This topic was about the alledged vulnerability in the plugin for firefox. Simple solution DON'T USE FIREFOX

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a better solution - DON'T USE WINDOWS.

Firefox on my Ubuntu installs is completely unaffected by this vulnerability. Funny that.

20. crazyceo

HA HA HA yes thats funny! Nice joke, you may as well just unplug your machine and set it on fire as it would become completely useless.

Tags: Add Tags