1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla slammed over Firefox DRM scheme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

The die hard free-software users can always stop using Firefox and start using Iceweasel, if they don't do it already.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

+1, most (average) people would just switch to chrome or even ie if they work. So long as it does what they want they don't care what's happening behind the curtain.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

So... FSF slams FF...

I have to ask, where were they when Chrome integrated it? And Opera? And Safari? And IE?

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Chrome, Opera and IE are not free software. Not sure about Safari though can't say I've ever looked into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I really don't see the problem. You don't HAVE to use the services that require EME and you can always use iceweasel instead of firefox. There's a good chance someone will bypass EME at some point anyway. I'd say this does people more good than harm.

I think the quote from FSF is ridiculous. I'm a fan of FOSS but seriously get over yourselves. This isn't going to ruin firefox, it's just 1 OPTIONAL feature that consumers desire and can't change. Seriously though, would the FSF rather firefox be left in the dust and become another netscape? Because that's what will happen if firefox doesn't get things that target a massive amount of consumers - free, open source, or otherwise. They clearly aren't looking at this in a long term perspective.

7. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

You also have the option of disabling the EME sandbox completely if you so desire.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm confused, reading up on EME from the The World Wide Web Consortium page about it, and other sources, it claims "This specification does not define a content protection or Digital Rights Management system."

And other sources, that i admit goes a little over my head claims...
    Would i be wrong in thinking they mean EME only enables browsers to interact with license servers to get keys ? Is that really browser DRM.

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The beauty of open source software is you can set a flag and recompile the Firefox source code to create a browser without any non-free software (in fact, Debian already do this and it's referred to as Iceweasel). That ought to be enough to keep the Stallmanites happy, while the rest of the world can watch Netflix without having to install Silverlight. In fact, EME should be a boon for Linux users who want Netflix as there's currently no option due to the lack of Silverlight!

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't Silverlight similar to Adobe flash, whereas EME is an extension to the HTML 5 specs.

AFAIK it's why EME exists, because Adobe flash, Silverlight, and such can request keys from servers if they need to playback encrypted media, but with HTML 5's ability playback media without using plugins like Adobe flash, Silverlight there needs to be a way for it to authenticate the user.

Last edited: 15 May 2014
  11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Because they have blind faith.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Could they not have implemented this in an extension or suchlike to give users the choice?

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that complainers need to STFU and remember that Firefox is a free piece of software. Take it or leave it, but don't make demands of something you don't even pay for.

14. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Sure they are. I've never paid for any of them.
    Richard Stallman is not the thought police, and I can keep using the commonly-accepted definitions of words.

15. Icy EyeG

I've said it before, that's why Iceweasel exists. It's a fork of Firefox with branding and proprietary bits removed.
    And, by the way, yes, you can complain, specially if you contributed to the project before.

16. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

As I understand, they are. Basically, Mozilla have implemented an open source sandbox environment in the browser, which you can optionally install Adobes closed source DRM to.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

I have to strongly disagree with you there. There is one commonly accepted definition of free software, which is Stallmans. Anyone with the slightest clue about software would agree, try googling define free software: even standard dictionaries agree. Free software is certaintly not synonymous with freeware.

19. Icy EyeG

Exactly, freeware is free as in free beer (aka gratis), and free software is free as in free speech (aka libre).

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't the word freeware a portmanteau of the words free and software ?