1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Multi-source surround sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddtox, 18 Mar 2011.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Hello everyone, as the title says, I'm looking for some advice regarding the best way to get (real) 5.1 surround sound from multiple sources (PC and XBOX360 Slim) with the minimum amount of hassle and expenditure.

My pc (gigabyte p55m-ud2 mobo) and xbox are both connected to a Samsung LE32C530 via HDMI, and I can get sound from either source through the TV. However, I have a Logitech X-539 surround sound system (which I am currently using for the PC) which I would like to connect to my tv so I can get surround sound from either source without having to physically unplug one device etc.

I was thinking of getting some kind of standalone Dolby Digital decoder which would accept an optical SPDIF input and allow me to plug my X530 speakers into it. (Perhaps something like this)

Does anyone know a better way to achieve this (without dropping £200 on a new set of speakers with optical SPDIF in)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Does it have digital and analouge inputs?

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Which item are you referring to?

4. Deders

Deders Modder

the speakers, ahh I see the problem now, nevermind.

Edit: Is there a difference between dolby surround and actual surround? doesn't the dolby version emulate it by picking out frequencies from a stereo source?

Last edited: 19 Mar 2011
  5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I think Dolby ProLogic is virtual surround from a stereo source, but I am looking to get proper 5.1 surround sound, which I think is just Dolby Surround (or AC3?)