1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Need some advice.... Laptop warranty related

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xaser04, 1 Jul 2011.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hi all,

I am after some advice in regards to what I can expect in regards to warranty cover / outcome with my Alienware M11x.

Basically I bought the M11x from Pc World online (it was cheaper and better spec'd than getting it directly from Dell) around mid November last year. Up until a couple of days ago everything was hunky dory and it worked without fault.

However, a couple of days ago I noticed the hinge started acting a bit wierd - cracking on opening and generally being a bit stiff. Last night the laptop would barely open and when it did there was a large bulge in the screen down where the hinge resides. When shutting the laptop the hinge is now open at the back and the lid doesn't fit flush to the base (off by 5mm or so whereas before it was perfectl in line).

The laptop still works fine once it is finally opened up but I am very concered that the screen will eventually fail.

What do you think the likely outcome of me taking it into my local PCworld store will be?

I am NOT looking for a refund as I know I have received plenty of enjoyment from the laptop but I assume I can expect some form or repair (unlikely that the store itself can do this) or "replacement"/store credit?

TLDR:

- M11x bought in November 2010.
    - Laptop works but the hing is on the way out (bulge in screen, won't open properly, snaps open when shutting).
    - What can be the expected outcome taking it into PC World under warranty?

On a side note I am absolutely gutted as I love the little thing. It has played everything I have thrown at it without complaining (bar TDU2 which is no real loss) and manages 6 hours of battery life when used normally.

:sigh:

Cheers all

2. lava

lava Minimodder

As far as i am aware, PC world generally offer 12 months warranty. You would just need to take your laptop with proof of purchase to a store where they will check to see if they can fix the problem or need to send it away. I would phone the store before taking it down just to check with them.

It does sound like a sticking hinge (they may be able to fix that in store) but if it was a hinge replcement that will probably have to be sent away.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Alienware laptops are prone to hinge issues (due to their design) so I don't think it is simply a sticking hinge (I can only hope).

Thanks for the advice re calling before hand.

My assumption is that it will have to be sent off to get the hinge fixed as I doubt they will be able to fix such an issue in store (they won't have the parts I would imagine).

4. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

Pissy World don't usually fix anything on site when it comes to laptops so expect to be without it for a couple of weeks while they send it back to the Manufacturer.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

:waah: No BFBC2 at lunchtimes...

Seriously though I do think this will be the outcome.

I may see if there is the offer of a replacement (can depend who you speak to I have found before) but I am ambivilant either way.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You know why it was cheaper? Because Dell released a new version of the laptop with the hinge issue fixed. There was also a recall sometime ago on this, if I remember correctly.

More reason why I hate retail stores.

Forget sending it back to repair at the retail store... if it's like Best Buy store here, prepare to wait 1 month to get this issue fixed.. and not by Dell... No mather what the sales rep says.

So to save you more trouble (and preventing voiding the true laptop warranty as it was fixed by someone else): call Dell. Dell will give you a box (if you don't have your laptop anymore) and a pre-paid shipping label (if you do have the laptop box, then they will e-mail you the pre-paid shipping label, which you print and tape nicely on the box (and protect it from weather).

Within a week or 2, you'll have it back (half a week if you are lucky), you'll get your system back.

UPDATE:
    The first "recall", was not a recall. I am sorry. It was just an improve hinge... but I guess it didn't hold up as well. This is the second hinge replacement:
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19337909/19814636.aspx?PageIndex=19
    Check out: DELL-Chris M post

And the first call was not an official recall.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2011
  7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

At the time I purchased it there was no hinge fix.... If I had purchased it direct from Dell I would have encountered the same issue.

The hinge fix didn't come about until earlier this year (March 2011 I recall). There are masses of posts about it over on NBR.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Very good then.
    Thanks for the correction.

9. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

There is a new support service for PCWorld called Knowhow which replaces the TechGuys.
    As it was an on line purchase not from a local store you could try contacting them and arrange for the notebook to be picked up for repair under warranty.
    The contact number is 0800 587 87 87 which is free from a BT landline.