1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need Wireless/Networking advice in household please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suragh, 2 Feb 2013.

1. suragh

suragh Derp

Hey BT.

I am going to be doing an upgrade to my network/wireless system in my home and I really would appreciate some advice on choosing routers/access points/adapters. I am currently with Virgin media and their superhub is really bad and im sick of wireless dropouts.

I know networking over ethernet would be better but I don't want to be routing cables arround the whole house and frankly nore do my parents. :sigh:

The only devices that will be using internet over wireless are...

Laptop which I will be used throughout the house.

Xbox 360 in my brothers room which tends to lose its wireless signal (Concrete wall same level) and 3 or 4 phone users who use wifi.

I have roughly £100 to spend on wireless/networking equipment. (Futureproof)

If I have missed anything, please let me know... :thumb:

Thanks!

Last edited: 2 Feb 2013
  2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

You could go with home plug wireless access points, provided all the sockets are on the same phase

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

3. suragh

suragh Derp

Thanks for the advice, if I were to go with a set of homeplugs? Who would you recommend, manufacturer wise? :D

EDIT: Would these be a viable option: TP Link TL-WPA281KIT :)

Last edited: 2 Feb 2013
  4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The only ones I have ever used are the netgear ones, it's not something I regularly install usually most of my clients want hidden away wireless ap's, so I tend to go with stuff like the Cisco WAP devices.

But the netgear ones work fine, I've never had an issue.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

suragh likes this.
  5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Put your SuperHub in bridge mode and disable wireless so that it only acts as a modem, and get a £100 DrayTek wireless router. :thumb:

suragh likes this.
  6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Disable wireless on the SuperHub as it's generally rubbish, get the HomePlug Kit above, wire one into the SuperHub, the other into the Xbox360.

Then get two (assuming you've got a decent sized two floor house) TL-WPA281, one for each end of the house.

You'll have a great little setup that can be moved and expanded if needed.

suragh likes this.
  7. suragh

suragh Derp

Draytek any good? If I were to buy one, which one would you recommend?

Thanks man. :thumb:

I appreciate the help you have all given me. rep+

Also, I noticed It is much cheaper to be single units with 2 packs in conjunction. Save a bit of doe :cooldude:

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I've put those type of TP-Link HomePlugs into loads of family/friends houses, all love how simple they are and are amazed at what they do.

One of those and a small switch behind the TV and all the games consoles are wired in.

9. suragh

suragh Derp

I have just found out that my line manager is offering the Meraki Wireless AP to me. Id be an idiot not to take it.

10. suragh

suragh Derp

I am planning to use the Superhub as the modem (please object to this if you think this is wrong) and plan to use another router (Draytek or Netgear - not decided - I still need recommendations on model types).

I am connecting my PC and the Xbox directly into the router (after pleading with my parents) and having another ethernet cable routing to a powerline adapter and then that will open out from anoitherto the living room which is downstairs. (Same phase)

The Meraki Wireless AP which I am receiving later next week will be something I will play around with but it won't be a permanent solution to my household.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2013
  11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You've basically got the same setup as me then :)

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

SuperHub as modem is correct.

Try with the proper wireless router before getting powerline adapters. It makes a surprisingly large difference.

13. suragh

suragh Derp

Awesome haha. I asked my boss what he thought he drew me a diagram of what I could possibly implement and I chose that route. :thumb:

Thanks man. I will look at routers tonight and then do what you told me to do! :D