1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 40" 720p Samsung LCD TV - Resolution issues.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GauteHauk, 14 Jan 2007.

1. GauteHauk

GauteHauk What's a Dremel?

I've got issues with my new tv. So here's the problem; I've got a nice new tv that I can't get a dual-view to display properly.

This is a relatively new laptop with a decent vid card in it, displaying a 1440x900, but apparently I cannot support such a resolution on the tv.

The tv specs are - 40", 1366 x 768 resolution.

Right now I am running a 1024x768, it just gives me two black bars on the left and right sides, squaring the image nicely. But this leaves about five inches of unused tv on either side. Even changing settings on how the tv displays doesn't do anything. I can display a square-stretched-to-rectangle 1024x768, a square but blackbarred 1024x768, or a larger-than-screen res that actually seems to blow the image up and force me to scroll to see the other parts of the screen.

I'm wondering if I can ever find a way around this windows-induced(or vid card induced) resolution restriction. To clarify, I'd like to display a 1366x768 image for the tv, but can't seem to find any such option.

Has anyone any idea how to go about doing this? Is there a firmware update or hack that I can use? Or should I get an analog(tv only has a VGA cable connect, but I could use a digital connection with my desktop.) to digital converter?

Let me know if there are other specs I should post to properly ask this question. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Would help if we new what laptop specs you have.

There are ways of doing it on standard graphics cards, but not 100% sure on Laptop ones.

3. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Most Samsungs are pretty good at displaying from a PC over VGA. You'll need to set the resolution to 1360 x 768 though as that tends to be what they support, so you'll have a 3 pixel border either side (not really noticeable). If you haven't got a 1360 x 768 resolution option then you'll need a program called Powerstrip and that should set you going.

4. GauteHauk

GauteHauk What's a Dremel?

Specs are a core duo 2.33ghz, 2gigs of ram, an Nvidia Quadro NVS M110 256mb vid card.

I've gotten some information, but I also seem to have a problem with getting support from toshiba AND Nvidia.

I have downloaded drivers(that are never able to install, because they say they cannot find the proper hardware to use) and I have downloaded programs. I know my system and just about everything about this computer(laptop), but I cannot seem to find the proper support from either Toshiba or Nvidia. I've been trying to solve this on my own, but it keeps looking more and more like I should just look for some consult here.

Thanks again. Need any more info, let me know.

Also, I am reluctant to run that program(powerstrip), because of potential malware affiliations I found when searching for it.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage